• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

TTS Newbie & 1st Diesel

...I wanted to put the new plug wire on the driver’s side but it has some type of additional plug-in connector that I couldn’t figure out where it attaches. It’s up by the glow plug relay terminal, but the wires on it now don’t have it.
Is it an Orange, stand alone, on the driver's side GP harness you're referring too? It connects to the orange wire on the OEM DS Harness that runs to the Glow Plug Fuse in the Under Hood Fuse box. Some of the PT Wiring kits have a quick disconnect and others do not. Just splice it in with a weatherproof butt connector and heat shrink gun/torch. I've attached an annotated schematic from the 1997 manual for your entertainment. The Orange wire comes off the Drivers Side GP harness 13cm from the GP Relay.

Sorry, haven't found a picture of the OEM stuff other than this one. But, when you pull your GP harness out, the wire to the fuse will manifest itself. IIRC, it runs in that large bundle of wires along the firewall. I'll keep looking through pictures to see if I come up with anything else.

I'd snap a picture of my 96's set up but, the hood still has 12' of snow on it and it's 13* this morning. The 99 Burb is in the garage but, they didn't have the wiring set up like this. Here's a picture of it coming off the 96's PTWS Harness from when I first Installed it.

Last edited:
It appears to be a quick disconnect plug. I will take a pic of it this weekend. The passenger side did not have this additional connector. So it’s a fused wire that goes back to the computer showing the glow plugs are being energized?

This is the new driver’s side harness. There is a small spade end inside the connector body.

Attachments

• D0A03FF7-C212-4148-ACEE-FBD1A3188A93.jpeg
    D0A03FF7-C212-4148-ACEE-FBD1A3188A93.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2
I have not put the driver side harness on yet because I am debating cutting off the exhaust manifold and replacing. This is likely to involve a torch or in my case of plasma cutter. I am happy with the way the truck is been starting though, yesterday 25°F started on the first shot and today 15°F started on the second attempt. Both times it idled a little rough till it got going and then purred right along.

Back