• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trying To Fix My Warm And Cold Starts. (White Smoke)

DZZ71

"Living The 6.5 Dream"
Reaction score
The video shows my truck doing a warm start i had just replaced all 8 glow plugs with duraterms. replaced fuel filter, changed oil (5w40 amsoil) and cleaned air filter. I had always thought the smokey start ups were from the crappy used auto lite glow plugs i had in there. But its odvious that wasen't the problem. When i do a cold start there is lots of smoke constant untill the engine has reached close to operating temp. There is also a fair amount of fish biting in the cold start. Injection pump and pmd are a few months old. Not even 20,000 km on them. TDC offset is at -194.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ca7kDkokkk

Recheck timing you may do better with -1.5 TDCO, also how fresh are injectors, have you checked voltage to each glow plug, even new/newish duraterms may be weak, also IIRC duraterms prefer extended glow in colder climates, you may want to incorporate a pre-glow circuit, also have you tested tyhe clow controller as well, dirty contacts in those can cause low volts or only 1/2 of glow harness to get trons?

Looks like air in fuel. Just went thorough this with a pinhole in the fuel heater that was leaking out the wires.

The way it puffs looks like an injector. Maybe an injector not shutting? Timing changes are free, it doesnt sound terrible how "warm" of a start was that/ how long was it shut down?

truck sat for about an hour in the shop then i started it. i did an actual cold start today, It starts fine then when i turn the glow plugs off it keps smokin like a bastard untill it warms up. I will try the timing change soon. Its like the truck kinda surges a tad bit when i start it warm for the first little bit. Got some bad news though........ I was at meeting for work and left my truck running for an hour out side my fans dident kick in i came out the temp was in the red and steam was coming out from under the hood and i was low on coolant. I would be suprised if i dident cook this engine tonight......

The number 1 reason I won't use electric fans. Sorry to see it happen to you.

Wow, that sucks.

From the video, my truck used to puff out smoke like that. You can tell its just on a cylinder or so, when its cold it took almost a minute to go totally away. I have duraterms and will definately vouch for them needing a longer glow cycle than stock. Mine turned out to be one of the plug wires fell off ther spade. Guess which one? The one behind the down pipe of course! Major PITA to reinstall. If its warm tho mine would fire up fine. What were the temps in the garage for that hour?

Sorry to hear about the fans.

Too late now but I wonder if a bad CTS in the crossover could give hard cold and warm starts.

Sorry to hear about the fans.

Too late now but I wonder if a bad CTS in the crossover could give hard cold and warm starts.

I think the computer gets the temperature reading from the drivers side front head coolant sensor. The way to check that is to pull the plug off of it, that will trick the 'puter into thinking its darn cold out. If it starts better cold with that un-plugged then it needs to be replaced. The sensor in the crossover is for your dash temperature gauge.

If this engine goes I think I'm gonna buy a P400 and be done with it. I guess this will put the shitty GM casting to the test. Over an hour of idling at max temp and half empty on coolant.

No load, steady temp, boiling off coolant at idle.... best case. Water pump if it lost prime as the seal will be toast. Hope she held up.

Back