• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck won't crank

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
Have a 92 chevy 4x4 1500 reg cab sb, 5.7 with 5 speed manual. It will not turn over....no clicking or anything. The interior lights/radio/gauges work. I have checked / cleaned all connections at battery and starter. Pulled the starter, tested good....put a new one in anyway, no change. Old starter is back in. Pulled the clutch safety switch plug and jumper wired it, no change. Any ideas? Is my ignition bad? The truck used to start...then the next minute it wouldn't....now I can't get it to start at all no matter how many times I try.

check for voltage at the small terminal on the starter when the key is in the start position if not it's either wiring or ign swtch

Well I have 12 volts to the small terminal of the starter when my wife turns the key....now what?

Talked to a friend and he thought maybe I have a bad ground. The starter is only grounded by the mounting bolts. The truck and block of the motor is rusty. I tested ground in ohms and got a reading of -6.9 from frame to starter body. Went from - battery terminal to motor and got +8.1.

I would say you got a bad battery cable then. You should have a reading of zero on the ground cable fro mthe battery as it needs to be able to handle 150-180 amps.

Back