• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck value

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
There is a truck not far from me with 275k on the ticker '95 EC/LB 6.5. Body is rotted out, but it's a running engine and chassis. Has good tires and later model aluminum wheels, no ball hitch in bed, cloth interior. I'm thinking it's in the $3000 range, but the guy wants twice that. I think he's a little high on price. What sayeth y'all?

I would pay no more than the value of the drivetrain. Rust = worthless. So $1,000 to $1,500 would be my tops. If it were rust free from someplace like California, then $3,000.

Example: son’s ‘94 K2500 Suburban we paid $3,000 for with 242K miles on. Basically no rust. And this was like 10 years ago.

My grandson in Alaska is shopping for a 90s 4X4 GM truck. He and my son have looked at several on the CL adds.
When they got to the advertised vehicle, the owners have take pics from angles that the rusted out portions are not real visible. So they let the person know about their deceptive practices and they move on.
The grandson has now reached out to Me to find a nice specimen and they will have it barged over to Anchorage.
I sent him a CL listing of a very nice, very well cared for unit, He replied back that they want to stay at or below $3500.00.
Oh boy, that sort of complicates things. LOL

Here is the one that I feel would be well worth the time and expense, and for me to drive it to Alaska for them.

That's a very rare truck and is nice looking. My first impression is that is a seller that can probably be trusted, based on some unspoken things the photos show. I have no ideal on the value of it.

The used vehicle market is completely whack right now. MrMarty's link is a good example of that. Try looking at asking prices for Ferds of the same era and it will really blow the mind. Some of them push into the mid $20K range.

At the moment this nuttiness is due to shortages of new vehicles from supply chain issues. The question I have is whether there is also a component of the marketplace rejecting some of the new vehicle bling and wanting just a capable vehicle, not an overpriced rolling infotainment system that tries to tell you how to drive.

The used vehicle market is completely whack right now. MrMarty's link is a good example of that. Try looking at asking prices for Ferds of the same era and it will really blow the mind. Some of them push into the mid $20K range.

At the moment this nuttiness is due to shortages of new vehicles from supply chain issues. The question I have is whether there is also a component of the marketplace rejecting some of the new vehicle bling and wanting just a capable vehicle, not an overpriced rolling infotainment system that tries to tell you how to drive.
Millennials love the infotainment systems and all the cameras. Most could not drive, back-up, or park a vehicle without them.

Millennials love the infotainment systems and all the cameras. Most could not drive, back-up, or park a vehicle without them.
Ha, this is so true most of the time. 🤣 But although I am actually younger than most millennials I cannot stand all that extra crap. Give me something simple and reliable, that *I* can drive, not something that darn near drives itself. My 6.5 is actually the only vehicle I own with an automatic transmission. And if it ever piles up I want to put a 5 spd in it.

Not only the used market, but new vehicles, unbelievable at the prices. I saw these ferds on the net, unreal. I have seen some GM trucks in the 80,000 to 92000 range, but nothing over 100,000 yet.

Attachments

• 0922221621.jpg
    0922221621.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 0922221622.jpg
    0922221622.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 4
Not only the used market, but new vehicles, unbelievable at the prices. I saw these ferds on the net, unreal. I have seen some GM trucks in the 80,000 to 92000 range, but nothing over 100,000 yet.
My son paid $52K for a similar F-250 in 2018. This just justifies everything and anything I do to keep the K2500 Suburbans going.

Prices came down a hair around here.
It was amazing to see new car dealerships everywhere, and they would have 5-7 new rigs on the lot. Maybe 1 truck, 1 minivan, and rest cars.

Then used cars scattered around so they would make the lot look more full.

In sales is a thing about have product FOR SALE, not LEFT OVERS. Whatever is still there must be what no one else wanted is the impression.

The lots are pretty full again of new rigs. And they are slow to lower the prices- but there is a little bit of people walking away that is causing them to bring prices down a hair.

A lot more people tire kicking and walking away because of prices will get the numbers lower.

Inverted yield curve signaling a recession. Fed raising rates hard to stop Brandon’s inflation. Car markets, new and used, will go soft.

My son paid $52K for a similar F-250 in 2018. This just justifies everything and anything I do to keep the K2500 Suburbans going.

Yelp, a man can spend a great amount of money on older vehicles and still not equal a years worth of high dollar truck payments. The way I see it, if I spend three or four hundred dollars now and then on the old trucks, it's still cheaper than a thousand dollar truck payment.

The truck I mentioned has had a "DuPont overhaul", so I think that is why there is a big price tag. Not a good shelf life around here if not done right...

Back