• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

truck stays cold

shortcircut65

LT OFD N-49
Reaction score
i know Steve touched on this a little for his trip to Colorado, but i have a semi different question.
This winter season, i have noticed in temps 30*and colder, my truck struggles to make 120*, and even more so to stay there. i havent had this issue in years past, even with no winter cover. the only thing that has changed, is the head gasket job i did earlier in the year. i wonder if that would help make it run colder? i have been thinking about getting a cover, but now im wondering if something is up. im gonna get me one though. any thoughts, thanks guys

Get a cover and see what happens.
:iagree:

Could be with the head gasket problem you were down on coolant/loss of cooling ability and the truck just ran a bit hotter. Now that everything is hunky-dory (technical term) your engine may be more efficient in the cooling department.

Also, have your driving habits changed? Short trips as opposed to long trips, highway instead of stop and go?

coolant never really dropped in level, but i did notice that after i did them, it ran cooler than normal, and that was in the spring and summer too. im thinkin that it was a combonation of the combustion chamber directly heating the coolant, and really old coolant. i pretty much flushed it out with how many times i had to drain it cause of one stupid leak.

on a note for the cover, would it darken my blue lights i have in the grill too much?, and if so, could i cut 4 sections out so they can be seen through it?

The factory cover is solid vinyl Ken with a flannel inner surface. Your lights wouldn't show at all through. Sure you haven't got a thermostat stuck open? That's what it sounds like.

i was thinkin about that, but from what i know, thermostats usually fail closed, right? i have to get to them one of these days to replace the gasket that surrounds them, so i could check em out

i was thinkin about that, but from what i know, thermostats usually fail closed, right? i have to get to them one of these days to replace the gasket that surrounds them, so i could check em out
They fail closed more often than not on gas engines but I've seen it the other way too. I know when it's zero out my truck only runs 160 or so under load without the cover and drops like a rock to 120 at idle.

that sounds about right.

and to answer your question Jeff, my drivin habits havent changed much. still do about the same of both, just in different areas now

I'll have to go with Mike on all of what he said about thermostats. I can't see the head gaskets making it run cooler. I'm in Colorado now the cover is on. The Big trans cooler that I have makes the engines run 170* and the transmission run at 110*. The cover made a big in difference, now 160*trans and 190*engine. Thanks CWQ21.

I'll have to go with Mike on all of what he said about thermostats. I can't see the head gaskets making it run cooler. I'm in Colorado now the cover is on. The Big trans cooler that I have makes the engines run 170* and the transmission run at 110*. The cover made a big in difference, now 160*trans and 190*engine. Thanks CWQ21.

No problem, I'm just glad it worked out for you and that you and Nonna had a safe trip. I had been wondering if ya'll made it.

Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your visit with your family.

good to see you're making it up there Steve. guess while im in there replacing the gasket, the thermos will get changed out

Ken, put the thermostats in a pan of water on the stove with thermometer to see when they open or if they open. If they open at 180* & 185* respectfully put them back in and put on winter front cover. IMO

thats the thing Steve, i think they are stuck open. ill get 2 new ones, and if they are fine when i open it up, ill return em and get a winter cover anyway

FWIW, on my Bonneville last winter the thermostat stuck open, and wouldn't get above 165*. I threw in a 195* T-stat, and all was well.

120 is cold for these. your fuel mileage must be killin you. do the stats and put the cover on. it is good for temps nearing 50*. imo look into the cabelas version. it snaps to little snaps that tape to the grille. i ended up riviting mine because the tape gets cold and falls off, but it has two openings that velcro open or closed just in case it gets to warm. it also comes with a mesh cover used during the bug seasons to keep your rad/cac/condensor stack free of bug carcus.

2 new stats last night and i have heat!!!!!!!! no plow on the highway in 25ish degree weather i had 181*. it actually runs better with the plow on now. i really didnt see much over 155* off the highway. it got well over 200 on the highway, but much cooler now

they didnt look it, which is the weird part. i think they were partially stuck open, but also wouldnt open any more, which is why i was getting higher temps on the highway with the plow on.

Back