• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck Service Auto Ramps

It's all good. I'm the biggest safety nerd you'll ever see.

I want this :D

Car-Park8-sm.jpg

But, I don't have the place or the budget for that. So, if anyone has any good recommendations I'm all in. I've noticed a lot of folks built their own with wood, but I want something I can fold and store easily.

I looked earlier today and think mine are real close to will's. 12k GVW, 6K a pair, 3k lbs each is on the side. They work fine for oil changes.

Don't mean to sound like a preacher. it's a good reminder. I put some jack stands on a few 2x6's stacked up too high I guess then pushed the truck off it teeter testing it. Scared me good. Why I always tell people to teeter test.

Keep this in mind ....There is a good bit of difference needed when pulling a transmission vs changing oil. How many of those failed ramps were over stressed? I am surprised those Amazon ramps failed during oil changes or light part changes on flat ground. Buy what you feel safe with but might not need to get crazy.

What about these?
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200487978_200487978

I always had a fear of the ramps failing while I was under a vehicle. I had some older metal ramps that I use to use when working on 1/2 ton trucks and cars, but I would never trust them to hold up my 2500HD. I have used solid bricks or heavy wooden blocks single stacked more than once under my 2500HD just to gain a little extra ground clearance so I could change the oil.

I bet the Rhino ramps and similar plastic ramps are all about 6K axle weight. And the 12K GVW is all 4 wheels equally supported since they say GVW. I don't suspect the plastic being that much different between brands (might compare the weight of ramps). There are a few ramps on Ebay that are metal.

Just for numbers here is an old CAT Scale ticket that says my truck is ~ 4K lbs on front axle sitting level (3,720 lbs measured).

scale ticket.jpg

Back