• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck goes to cranking when the key is turn to on

JMJNet

Recruit
Reaction score
I have a weird situation when the truck start cranking as soon as the key is in the on position at WTS.

Yesterday, I had to do extended cranking.
After it start, there is a screetching noise and smoke.
So I turned off the key.
After that it started but sometimes the screetching noise is back so I again turned off the key and keep starting till it runs normally.
This morning the truck will start cranking with the key in the on position before turning it into the cranking position.

Any ideas? Bad starter, ign switch?

Thanks. I am replacing the starter and see how it goes.
The starter solenoid does not look too good.
I will have the starter shop test it.

My dad told me to make sure that there is no electric to the solenoid cable when the key is in the on position.
If it does, that means the problem is upstream like the ignition switch.

Lower the starter with the wires still attatched and carefully exam them. Unlikely but possible one is loose and contacting the other. That really should cause it to spin all the time, but I have seen it where people just add a ford solenoid inline of the battery cable as a “fix”. I did it that way on purpose with my 69 camaro cuz of header heat making solenoid not work.

Yeah, check that small wire for power with key ‘on’ before going to test the starter.

You can check the starter yourself with jumper cables.
Use a Scrap piece of wire about 6” long attatched to the small start post. Strip just 1/4” of the other end of the wire. Set starter on the ground in front of truck. Negative to the starter housing. Positive to the big post where the battery cable goes. Now with you BOOT, NOT HAND hold the starter down because it will jump and pinching fingers suck. Then touch the small wire to the positive jumper cable. Starter should operate.

To check if solenoid is bad and sticking on: negative to starter body. leave the positive jumper away from the starter. Touch the small wire to the jumper positive it should click but not rotate the gear.

If the starter solenoid is the issue, and you need to save some $, you can buy just the solenoid. Not hard to swap. Even cheaper is pull apart and clean the contact plate in the solenoid, but that is more dificult and will fail again.

If you’re as rich and famous as that kickazz shiny truck makes you look, I would do just the solenoid for now, and order a powermaster starter. Then keep the tired old starter as a back up for when the mail order one comes in. There are local hotrod shops near me that sell powermaster, but likelyhood of the #9052 in stock... haha

selenoids on these starters are crimped so almost impossible to clean the contacts
Very true. I should have said a LOT more difficult and needing a welder to reclose..
I forget not everyone is used to grinding/cutting things apart and welding them back together.

Thanks Will and Ak. The starter is down.

I bought a new Chinese made starter from Amazon delivered same day so I can put it on today.
It is a DB Electrical, hopefully it is good.
Less than $100.
I have not test the old one, yet.
It looks burnt, the paint on the solenoid is peeling off.

I need to put wire loom back into some of the electrical wires around there including the GP's wires.

Back