• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trouble code ?s

hookedup50

Reaction score
The other day I was driving to Boston and it was -5F out. On the way there there, the injectors made a alarming clatter. SES came on, temp was at 205 and usually at 195. Injector noise sounded like air in line and confirmed by large bubble in clear line. The air restrictor sensor near the k47 was orange. I shut truck down. I need to go out and check the pmd connection at the IP, as I changed it the day before. The truck did not over heat. It would notstart for an hour. I switched to spare pmd, nothing. Got it started and limped home, as I was gonna freeze to death, for real. Codes are, 0113,0118,0335,0713. Air temp cirquit high, coolant cuircut high, crank sensor pos A, trans temp cuircut high. Truck has no power on way home, ran a little hot. Will find air leak on suction side. Just redid all new from tank up until IP, so something loosened. Will air in fuel make engine run hot like to lean condition on a gasser? Thoughts.Thanks. Going out to check pmd cable and find air issue will check back. Nothing wrong with oil. The low cooland light came on the other day as expected, due to changing heater core and overflow tank went low when tstats opened. Topped off after that.

Sounds kinda like it was running on either the CPS or the OS on the way home. Like when you unplug just one of them.

I'm glad it was nice enough to take me home. I'm going out to switch back to old pmd cable and old pmd. I won't get that lucky, but those or one of those new items might be culprit.

When I have time, I will remove the upper/lower intake, and get the wires above. I know there is a plug under there without a retainer clip from PO. Its almost like you AK, sounds like something got unplugged when I was trying to "improve" reliability with redundant pmd cables and pmd's. I've been caught by the if it ain't broke, don't fix it syndrome.

Sounds like the air filter plugged with snow? It is possible to gel diesel and vapor lock the engine as the IP suction will boil diesel in a restricted fuel line and then put air in the return line. Check your fuel heater and make sure all (fuel) filters have a heater.

WW. Thanks for input. When I deleted the sock and put a spin on filter before the walbro, that needs to be heated? It acts like no fuel. I treat the fuel, but maybe not for -F. Also that fuel is treated from the fall and not winter blend. Will make sure FFM heater is operational. Also, will diesel 911 from powerservice ungell the fuel? I pretty much changed my fuel system because of bugs and your bug thread.

Ok, I see fuel filter heaters are sold online. Can I get away with a 100 watt one. I only get sub zero cold for 6 weeks max. Also, If I splice into my relayed lp kit, will it affect the relay,lp,ops. When I did all this work in the fall I wasn't thinking cold weather. I was sick enough, that I wasn't planning on being here. Feeling better these days, And hopefully infection is dead.

The only fuel heater you need to worry about is the one in the FFM in the engine compartment. If it isn't working I would just make sure I used fuel conditioner. I've never had a fuel gelling problem up here.

Thanks. The fuel was treated with stanadyne conditioner and biobor. The fuel is summer blend though. Its gonna be warm tomorrow. Hopefully I can figure out no start

I'll unspin the pre filter off and take a look. It may still be electronic woes as FP guage does pump to 15, but under med. acceleration it was going down to 7. When I last drove the truck I could not get the Fp below 9 on heavy acceleration. I'll see if FFM is working as well.

I've come to the conclusion that the codes is a ground issue. I guess its back to basics, then to track down air in fuel issue and or lack of fuel/gelling at IP. No power at FFM heater. Will report back with findings.

I think I found the first issue. The ground that goes to the firewall is not even loose, the nut was ready to fall off. Hopefully that does it. What a PIA to get at the stud. Its almost worth removing inner fender, if it weren't 0 degrees out. I hoping some of the other gremlins go away like fuel guage inop ect.

Agree that the pre LP filter is a potential source for gelling, but at the current temperatures you are likely good.

Used to have a '76 diesel that ran at temps in the 10F territory without a fuel filter heater and the motor never starved.

I cleaned and reattached the loose firewall ground today. The truck only started with accelerator to the floor. I cleared the codes and they did not come back. The block heater is weaping at the tightening nut. All weird electrical issues gone, fast flashing turn signal, flickering speedo, no compass, ect. The fuel guage inop was severed ground wire at plug when I moved bed a little. I thought I was careful. Will inspect tighten fuel lines over weekend to rid fuel system of air intrusion. Its probably the quality of work, as I was still on a home IV pump when I did the fuel system.

Replace the block heater ASAP!!! I ignored a weeping block heater and it fell out in the middle of Kansas. Cracked a head from coolant loss.

I assume you have verified lift pump pressure now? Clear return line on IP?

Yes on clear line, I could see the air besides change in pitch of injectors. Not getting air as its not as cold, but going through it anyway. Lp has good pressure according to Fp guage. I am ordering new block heater ASAP. Thanks WW, your fuel bug thread helped me to change out contaminated fuel tank, it was original so no big deal. It did kill me not to use the fuel, but burning season starts tomorrow, and will put it to use on the 10 yards of leaves/brush I'm gonna burn.

Hopefully you are running biocide to kill everything else growing in the system. Glad I could save someone else the epic expensive trouble of a long fight to clean up a fuel system.

I am on preventive treating fuel from now on. I switch from Biobor to the one you mentioned in your thread. I haven't switched for a while as I haven't driven a tankful since the fall when I redid interior and body panels. The block heater leak is coming from the cut oring under the tighten down nut.
Will, Bonfires are top of my list, just below hunting and fishing. I plan on the fire department coming over tomorrow, as my neighbor always calls them. Even if I tell him in advance and I possess a burning permit.

Back