• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trip from Hell - stalling/bucking

I ended up changing out the water pump in my in law's driveway in a -25F windchill. You bleed a lot slower in the cold.

You're actually praying for a good bleed because it warms your hands. I had to change the starter on my truck in Minnesota in the middle of January in a parts house parking lot. Damn that sucked.

Well I made it home. :hurray: 678 miles in 10 hours. Not bad when you have 4 boys asking are we there yet? or When will we be there?

It was actually a nice visit to the in laws. My father in law and I had a lot of bonding time. He helps out where he could. Holding the light, getting a tool, he even ground the washer that is holding the broken eye of the lower intake so it would grab. He's an engineer so that was right up his alley. The only issue I ran into was the turbo sensor code that my truck kept throwing when I got on it. I was carrying w/ cargo and people about 1500-2000 lbs so climbing some of those passes in Nevada really put the turbo to work. I kept having my wife connect w/ my lap top to clear it so it would come out of limp mode. I don't know if any of you have experienced this but in limp mode It wont down shift and accellerate while Cruise control is engaged. It would while not in limp mode and not really pushing it. Bill Heath said that w/ his turbo master and some 97-99 trucks it will throw codes when you get on it. He said a reflashe would take care of it.

Luckily the Eagle Scout in me is almost always prepared. The only thing I forgot was my homemade IP turning tool. When I installed the IP I used a small level to try and get it top dead center. Unfortunately that didn't work. It was -2.46. I told myself if I got it anywhere between -.50 & -1.94 I would leave it. To move the pump the bottom 2 nuts were snug not overly tight. I loosened the top nut slightly and had a 3/8" 1 ft long socket extension that I placed on top of the left side of the IP just above the adjustment whole and gave it a few whacks w/ a rubber mallet. While re warming up the truck it started to relearn and set the tdco on it's own. I didn't command it to do it. It went to -.68. I then commanded it and it went to -.46. I then put my socket extension on the side of the adjustment whole and gave it a whack. Now it is at -.88. Maybe next week I will move it. I'm done working on the truck for a while. Now I need a vacation from my vacation.

To fix my brocken manifold I cleaned the break up w/ brake cleaner and a wire brush. Applied some jb weld just to hold it together till I got the bolts in. I was surprised it didn't come apart when I tighten down the bolt. I only tightend it so it was snug though.

Now I need a vacation from my vacation.

Well I made it home. :hurray:

Luckily the Eagle Scout in me is almost always prepared. The only thing I forgot was my homemade IP turning tool.

To fix my brocken manifold I cleaned the break up w/ brake cleaner and a wire brush. Applied some jb weld just to hold it together till I got the bolts in. I was surprised it didn't come apart when I tighten down the bolt.
Congrats Rodd. My wife has asked me if I have enough tools, my reply is if I brought any more I might as well bring the shop. Maybe the JB weld will hold. Leo

Well done, Rodd... glad you made it home! You should break the truck more often; the father in law probably enjoyed the chance to get outside the house and work with you, and as an engineer, find out that you really WERE knowledgeable about that truck!

All in all, very well done, Amigo!

Congrats Rodd. My wife has asked me if I have enough tools, my reply is if I brought any more I might as well bring the shop. Maybe the JB weld will hold. Leo

Leo - the standard husband response for that question is "no dear, but we're getting close." Makes 'em think the tool-buying is something that will end, eventually :)

The trick is to carefully buy bigger toolboxes every so often, so you can show her how many tools you are SUPPOSED to have. Tell her "all the other guys have their boxes almost full".

We gotta stick together, man... don't want different stories circulating out there. Women talk to each other.

Every purchased tool used effectively saves you the money you'd have to pay someone else that probably wouldn't demonstrate the same degree of care. Until your spouse greets you at the door with, "Yeaaaaaaaaaah, another tool!" then you haven't completed her training.

Well I made it home. :hurray: 678 miles in 10 hours. Not bad when you have 4 boys asking are we there yet? or When will we be there?

It was actually a nice visit to the in laws. My father in law and I had a lot of bonding time. He helps out where he could. Holding the light, getting a tool, he even ground the washer that is holding the broken eye of the lower intake so it would grab. He's an engineer so that was right up his alley. The only issue I ran into was the turbo sensor code that my truck kept throwing when I got on it. I was carrying w/ cargo and people about 1500-2000 lbs so climbing some of those passes in Nevada really put the turbo to work. I kept having my wife connect w/ my lap top to clear it so it would come out of limp mode. I don't know if any of you have experienced this but in limp mode It wont down shift and accellerate while Cruise control is engaged. It would while not in limp mode and not really pushing it. Bill Heath said that w/ his turbo master and some 97-99 trucks it will throw codes when you get on it. He said a reflashe would take care of it.

Luckily the Eagle Scout in me is almost always prepared. The only thing I forgot was my homemade IP turning tool. When I installed the IP I used a small level to try and get it top dead center. Unfortunately that didn't work. It was -2.46. I told myself if I got it anywhere between -.50 & -1.94 I would leave it. To move the pump the bottom 2 nuts were snug not overly tight. I loosened the top nut slightly and had a 3/8" 1 ft long socket extension that I placed on top of the left side of the IP just above the adjustment whole and gave it a few whacks w/ a rubber mallet. While re warming up the truck it started to relearn and set the tdco on it's own. I didn't command it to do it. It went to -.68. I then commanded it and it went to -.46. I then put my socket extension on the side of the adjustment whole and gave it a whack. Now it is at -.88. Maybe next week I will move it. I'm done working on the truck for a while. Now I need a vacation from my vacation.

To fix my brocken manifold I cleaned the break up w/ brake cleaner and a wire brush. Applied some jb weld just to hold it together till I got the bolts in. I was surprised it didn't come apart when I tighten down the bolt. I only tightend it so it was snug though.

Now I need a vacation from my vacation.

Rodd,

I realize the last thing you want to do is spend more money, but a Heath chip and turbo master will end all turbo codes, any future vacuum problems etc. Not to mention, makes the whole transaction alot more fun.

Boy, I am eating fuel!

Well done, Rodd... glad you made it home! You should break the truck more often; the father in law probably enjoyed the chance to get outside the house and work with you, and as an engineer, find out that you really WERE knowledgeable about that truck!

All in all, very well done, Amigo!

My father in law was in ahhh! He couldn't beleave that I took the top of the truck apart and gas tank and got it all back together again. He was singing praises the whole time. And the kicker is when it started. It was like hitting the game winning shot at the end of the game or that walk off home run. I gave the praise to you guy's. I would have never been able to do it without this forum and the place the first time I had to do it.

The funny thing is that eventhough this is the 2nd IP I've installed in it it was actually the 4th time I replaced an IP in a 6.5. The first time it broke, one of the screws on the metering part broke so my friend replaced it but it didn't work. Then I took it to a pump shop to repair and it didn't work. I then got a used one from Diesel Pro that lasted 1 1/2 yrs. This being the 4th time. So I guess you could say I am getting to be a pro at it.

Holy cow Rodd. Sounds like quite a trip. After I talked to you Tues. I was wondering how it was going the rest of the way. Glad you made it home OK. I got home around noon today and got the 4 wheelers and toy hauler cleaned up, and decided to jump on here real quick and see if you posted anything. 5 pages later, man, what a trip. So the truck ran good then all the way home other than the code. I mean no bucking or anything?

Holy cow Rodd. Sounds like quite a trip. After I talked to you Tues. I was wondering how it was going the rest of the way. Glad you made it home OK. I got home around noon today and got the 4 wheelers and toy hauler cleaned up, and decided to jump on here real quick and see if you posted anything. 5 pages later, man, what a trip. So the truck ran good then all the way home other than the code. I mean no bucking or anything?

No bucking or any other problems. Thanks goodness. Unfortunately now that I am home my luck is no better. My laptop power cord broke off in my laptop and needs to go in for repair. I can't get it out w/ anything. So I went to my desktop and it crashed and burned. I had been having probs w/ it for a while and it finally died on my today. So I had to go and buy a new computer so I can get my work done tomorrow.

They say things happen in 3's. Hopefully this is 3. My truck, my laptop, and my desktop. This has been my most expensive weekend in a few years.:mad2:

Thanks for all the moral support and advise.

After thinking about here is my prognosis:

It started by my fuel cap failing. It started to impload my fuel tank and bent my fsu up so it would run out of fuel when there was a little less than 1/2 full. With multiple times of running out of fuel couldn't have helped the IP at all. I don't know how much damage it did but I do know that when I dropped my tank about a month and 1/2 ago it was clean inside. This time it was full of metal flakes and chips as well as the filter manager.

Here is what you can do to prevent this from happening to you. Take off your fuel cap and look the male part of the cap up by the threads. You will see a rubber seal/oring. Pull it off and save your tank and fsu.

Back