• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trip from Hell - stalling/bucking

I just went to the local dealer here in my in laws town and luckily one of their techs has a 6.5. He pulled the diagram for the ops and lp for my burb and gave me a copy so I could do the work myself. Very nice. Anyway he said on the 99 w/ the ignition key on and the t valve open is how you tell if the lp is working. He said and the diagram shows that once the truck is started and semi warm the ops takes over. So if I open the t valve w/ the truck running if it flows the ops is good. He also said to check the bottom of the filter bowl. If there is any metal in there it could be from the IP. He said that the fuel in the tank gets hotter the farther you go due to the return. If the pump is going bad it could start failing the hotter the fuel gets. He said Bio stays thicker longer and may put a bandaid on the situation. He also said the gas cap failing could cause the same symptoms I am experiencing.

So here is where I am at...

1. Check ops
2. Check filter housing for metal
3. Drop tank and check for implosion and double check depth of fuel pick up.
4. new gas cap or drive w/ old on loose.
5. New IP if necesary

Unfortunately if the ops is good and I replace the gas cap then if it fails again I will be on a long trip. The tech said that if it is related to hot fuel causing the IP to start to buck I could try filling up every 200 miles to keep it cooler.

What are your guy's thoughts. I have left a message for Bill Heath so hopefully he calls me back.

Well I just took it for a test drive and it was stutering the whole way. Lift pump and ops test good. I unplugged the optical sensor to try and run in limp mode and it started but my top speed was about 10 mph. Unfortunatly it looks like my IP. Anyone else concure?

any codes?

Yes, but I havn't pulled them yet. Family stuff w/ the in laws. I just went and got a rebuilt ip from baker diesel in Ogden UT for $995 w/ new pmd. Now I know I have at least 3 good ones.

It looks like I'll be swapping it out on Thanksgiving. Veg aren't you in UT somewhere? Ya near brigham city? Just kidding. I lucked out. I brought all my tools w/ me except my ip turning tool. I can make another one though.

Rodd i am not really sure what to say,, i just hope at the end of the day it works out, i feel yve given so much , you don`t deserve all this, Period..

What's that saying.... "Life is a bitc* and then you die" I'm not about to die so I'm living a bitc* right now. I was just lucky enough to get to my destination last night. Although a 9-10 hour trip too about 15 hours.

Nope. Bucking is usually fuel-related... and on these trucks, that can be electrical or liquid. I don't know what to suggest, buddy... you're trying everything the rest of us would ...

Yes, but I havn't pulled them yet. Family stuff w/ the in laws. I just went and got a rebuilt ip from baker diesel in Ogden UT for $995 w/ new pmd. Now I know I have at least 3 good ones.

It looks like I'll be swapping it out on Thanksgiving. Veg aren't you in UT somewhere? Ya near brigham city? Just kidding. I lucked out. I brought all my tools w/ me except my ip turning tool. I can make another one though.

Sorry Rodd, one state north, Idaho. But alas, I'm on a gigantic road trip into Washington. I've got my own issues, electrical in nature, but I'll wait till we get you out of the in-laws before I post. BTW, my new IP came from those same fellows, and it works good. It was bucking that made me replace my pump. I always wondered if I'd make it home.

It's a good thing I drive around on my own fuel, it's the only way I can afford to drive this thing. That said, I just recently did the Heath chip and turbo crank up. Holy hell this thing is a blast on the highway. Every mountain pass is now a joy, rather than a chore.

Sorry Rodd, one state north, Idaho. But alas, I'm on a gigantic road trip into Washington. I've got my own issues, electrical in nature, but I'll wait till we get you out of the in-laws before I post. BTW, my new IP came from those same fellows, and it works good. It was bucking that made me replace my pump. I always wondered if I'd make it home.

It's a good thing I drive around on my own fuel, it's the only way I can afford to drive this thing. That said, I just recently did the Heath chip and turbo crank up. Holy hell this thing is a blast on the highway. Every mountain pass is now a joy, rather than a chore.

I knew you were somewhere up here. I did pull codes and got the fuel metering code and one other. both pump related.

I got lucky. I got to baker diesel just as they were closing till Monday. Lucky me. Anyway off to the fun factory. A garage w/ no in laws:D Just kidding. It hasn't been bad at all. Yet!

side note- running a fuel pressure meter and heath's lp. I noticed with a sealed cap, under wot at 1/2 tank and less the pressure would hit 0. gutted rubber vent in cap and lp stays at 3 on wot.

Rodd
I am 15 minutes north of SLC. Sent you a PM with my contact info. I have a Tech 2 but zero experience using it on OBDII.
You IP tech's out there give me some advise on what to look for and do.
Thanks Desert

Rodd
I am 15 minutes north of SLC. Sent you a PM with my contact info. I have a Tech 2 but zero experience using it on OBDII.
Thanks Desert

That's the spirit, Desert. Great first post and welcome aboard. The main reason for this site is to help our fellow diesel heads and you stepped to the plate. Rodd, if you hook up with Desert, we'll be here to help you with the specifics.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Rodd
Thanks Desert

Thanks! I got your pm. If you have an IP turning tool that would be great. I always take my tools w/ me just in case I need them. The only thing I forgot was my homemade ip turning tool. I can make another one but the one I made was out of scrap at home. Hopefully I can buy the things to make it if you don't have one.

Here is what I found. The filter housing had about 1/8" of metal chips/flakes in it. So I took the tank out and found a tone of it. Even in the filter sock. I cleaned it all out from the tank and the filter housing. I just replaced the fuel sending unit in July and thouroughly cleaned the whole fuel system and tank. So the metal must be coming from the IP. Also my fsu was bent. The pickup was about 11 1/2" when I installed it now it is bent to about 9 1/2-10". My tank had about 16 gallons left in it as well, so I think my fuel cap may be failing. The tank did not empload however if it got sucked in a little that would bend the fsu. I bent ithe fsu back w/ no probs.

I currently have the IP installed. I am just reconnecting the injector lines now. The bottom ones are being a pita.

New problem. I may have to post a new thread for this. We'll see what kind of info I get.

I was putting my lower intake back in and my brother in law asked if that piece of metal was supposed to be there and I looked and the eye whole on the passenger side back by the filter housing broke. I didn't drop it or anything. I was just manuvering the wiring around it. Will JB weld work. Since I have an f intake I know it is going to be hard to come by. I was thinking trying some jb weld but I don't know if it will work. If I can't figure something out I may just bolt it all up and drive home. Please Help!!!

Back