• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trickle charging batteries

hookedup50

Reaction score
On a dual battery setup, is there any harm in trickle charging batteries while installed in the truck. Will both the batteries charge by plugging onto one battery. Or should I disconnect them and charge them separately, like I usually do. This is more of a curiousity question than anything. I'm about 3 days out before starting the truck for the first time since Oct. Its 10 degrees out here and I can't imagine them having enough juice to start, even with block heater plugged.

Thanks, I used to have issues with the OEM battery cables, like if you charged or jumpstarted from I believe the pass side battery, the cables would melt. The truck has been a different animal when starting, with raceday cables and glow harness.

I periodically put my old trickle charger on my batteries, just to keep them topped off or maintained. As Will stated, if you charge one, they both get a little juice, so it takes a little longer to charge the 2 batteries.

I do this on my tow rig with one of the new fancy chargers. Like RI mentioned, it just takes a little longer. Just for grins, I alternate which battery gets the clips.

Consider getting a small solar panel that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Just make sure to un-plug it *before* starting as they do not like receiving current. (Don't ask how I know ;) ). The solar panels will also work pretty well with indirect light.

Back