• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission Temp:

it is possible that your extra power is making it work harder and you never noticed it. when you get work done or have an issue it tends to make you monitor things more than before.

The alarm on the evo was always set at 210* and never hit it. Now I can trip the 210 alarm in less than 20 miles on level 4 and always have monitored the tranny temp, engine temp, boost and gear T/C lock. .
So how hot is too hot for this tranny. At what temp does the fluid break down?

I replaced the spin on and drained almost 2 quarts out. It now sits in the middle of the hot hatch marks when at 180*. It is still getting hot. How hot is too hot?

Mike can you pm me info on your cooler? I went to a tranny shop and they have no clue either but have never seen an allison either.

How do I know if the TC is slipping/going bad and causing the extra heat? It still pulls my 11K camper as always, just 20* hotter.

Last edited:
sonofa......I never hid the fact that I had a programmer from the dealer. I always returned the evo back to stock before going in for service but never removed it. The dealer would unplug the evo and plug in the tech 2 and drive it and plug the evo back for me when they got back. They never duplicated the problem. Stopped at a different dealer yesterday and we plugged in the tech 2 so I could see for myself and sure enough the temp never went over 185*. Plugged in the evo, gauges only, stock in the ecm with no programm loaded and drive and watch the temp steadily rise. Unplug the evo and the temp comes back down while idling. Drove from lafayette to houston and never saw over 190* The sumbeechin evo is screwed up and I have no idea how but with just having it plugged in for the gauges it drives the tranny temp up. Needless to say there is no longer an evo in my truck and it is running perfectly. Thanks for the help and patience guy's. I am going to contact edge to ask a big WTF???

I would still like some feedback on Mike's cooler setup.

i doubt it is actually making the trans hotter, but maybe messing with the class 2 data line and telling it its hotter. kinda odd though that it started just after they did a service on it. how does the evo work, does it plug into the obd connector? wonder if it got shorted out or something if they unplugged it.

glad you found it:D

sonofa......I never hid the fact that I had a programmer from the dealer. I always returned the evo back to stock before going in for service but never removed it. The dealer would unplug the evo and plug in the tech 2 and drive it and plug the evo back for me when they got back. They never duplicated the problem. Stopped at a different dealer yesterday and we plugged in the tech 2 so I could see for myself and sure enough the temp never went over 185*. Plugged in the evo, gauges only, stock in the ecm with no programm loaded and drive and watch the temp steadily rise. Unplug the evo and the temp comes back down while idling. Drove from lafayette to houston and never saw over 190* The sumbeechin evo is screwed up and I have no idea how but with just having it plugged in for the gauges it drives the tranny temp up. Needless to say there is no longer an evo in my truck and it is running perfectly. Thanks for the help and patience guy's. I am going to contact edge to ask a big WTF???

I would still like some feedback on Mike's cooler setup.

Give me a call or pm me your email and I'll send info.

will do mike. It was not the programmer. it ran at 180* all the way to houston-220 miles after I unplugged the tech 2. On the trip back it went to 235* in the first 60 miles untill we had to stop on the interstate for a wreck. sitting there for 10 mins the temp dropped to right below 200*. I shut the truck off for 5 mins while we waited and started it back up and it ran at 180* the rest of the trip. At this point I have no idea and need my truck to pull my camper next weekend but my tranny has gone insane and I am not far behind. I took pics of the gauge to show the dealer. Anyone have the number to someone at gm. 4 times and a tank of fuel while they test it. Yes, I am getting pissed.

last summer i was pulling the water trailer, and i noticed the trans was really hot, 250*, almost in the red. So i checked the fluid, and there was about a quart... GONE. Where would've it gone? I had checked it a week b4 and no service had been done in between. Needless to say, i put a quart in, and it hasn't gotten over 220* since, no matter what we did to it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys but my baby is going under the knife next week with 51K miles. I hooked the camper up and could feel the torque converter slipping, never limped, but getting hot fast. Made it 15 miles at 65 mph before the overheat warning. Pulled over and let it cool off. Made it back home and let it cool. Unhooked the camper and put the programmer on 4 and took off again. Stomped it from a roll, felt a shudder and then BAM! first time limping it. Scared the crap outta me. I have a local mechanic who builds his own race cars that is going to do the work and guarantee that it will hold. I told him it is time for a PPE upgrade ( hot+2 and lift pump) and he said he wil personally take care of it as he wants to see what it will do with a hot programmer and a built alli. We did not get to talk long so I am not sure which rebuild kit he wants to go with. I am letting him choose as he will be covering the warranty on parts and labor. He assuerd me that I won't be able to tear this one up...we will see!
My truck made 3, 1/4 mile passes, the last one was 13.79 @ 97.7 mph. I played on weekends with it but never really tried to kill it. I thought with the evo just adding 100rwhp I was safe....I guess i got one of the weaker trannys but one of the better running engines. Now I need to find a set of used tires for when I get it back, the AT's are kind of expensive....I will post the outcome.

cool, glad youu found your problem:D. you'll be very happy, even more so with the ease of your mind knowing you can drive it with out hurting it.

I was told that the trans will run about 100° above outside temperature?? Seems to hold true for me so far, not towing that is.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys but my baby is going under the knife next week with 51K miles. I hooked the camper up and could feel the torque converter slipping, never limped, but getting hot fast. Made it 15 miles at 65 mph before the overheat warning. Pulled over and let it cool off. Made it back home and let it cool. Unhooked the camper and put the programmer on 4 and took off again. Stomped it from a roll, felt a shudder and then BAM! first time limping it. Scared the crap outta me. I have a local mechanic who builds his own race cars that is going to do the work and guarantee that it will hold. I told him it is time for a PPE upgrade ( hot+2 and lift pump) and he said he wil personally take care of it as he wants to see what it will do with a hot programmer and a built alli. We did not get to talk long so I am not sure which rebuild kit he wants to go with. I am letting him choose as he will be covering the warranty on parts and labor. He assuerd me that I won't be able to tear this one up...we will see!
My truck made 3, 1/4 mile passes, the last one was 13.79 @ 97.7 mph. I played on weekends with it but never really tried to kill it. I thought with the evo just adding 100rwhp I was safe....I guess i got one of the weaker trannys but one of the better running engines. Now I need to find a set of used tires for when I get it back, the AT's are kind of expensive....I will post the outcome.

If your getting those temperatures so quickly you more than likely have a bad convertor or possibly you hurt it with the chip.Unlikly do to only an additional 100 HP but possible since late model transmissions have lower pressures. When you tow do you use tow haul for TC lock up?

Even when and IF you build your transmission you should use Tow Haul to archive TC lock up to minimize TC slip and heat. Adding the cooler WILL NOT substitute the use of Tow Haul.

In combination a bigger cooler and using Tow Haul will drop your sump temps 15/20 degrees depending on ambient temperatures. May not be noticed in the I/C guage do to transmission running at or near engine temp and placement of factory sending unit.

Running the AC also contributes to heat.

Last edited:
:wtf:

Mackin, I always use TH no matter what is hooked to the hitch.
I think the last and only time I limped it was due to the evo on level 4, no time to learn, and my foot instantly to the floor because this makes absolutely no sense.....
:crazy:. First mechanic had the truck for 4 days. "Could not find/duplicate problem but will rebuild if customer request with no guarantee of solution".
Brought it to a second shop and got the same response. Neither one is experienced with allisons and do not want to just start digging and part swapping.
The hell with it, vacation time came and figured what the hell since another cc dmax was coming along empty so I had an alternative to pull the camper the 250 miles just in case. This is where it gets silly. Hooked up to my beast of a TT which is right at 40', 11K, tow haul on, edge on level 1. Set the cruise on 68 and drove for 50 miles non stop. Dash and evo gauge read 201* it was 97* outside. Good so far. Stopped to pick up my GF and some groceries and we took off again. Sumbeech climbed steadily to 240* and stayed there for 10 miles and then started slowly dropping down to 221* and stayed there the next 100 miles. Pulled overpasses in 6th and down shifted to 5th on the bridges and the temp never went over 221*. Stopped to get fuel and shut it down. Got back on the road and the temp never went over 201* for the next 100 miles. The temp always stops on a 1 and is different everytime the truck is stopped and restarted:mad2:. 201, 221, 231, 241, and empty 191. The return trip the truck was not shut down after it was started and stayed at 221* untill we got into traffic behind a wreck and it dropped to 201*. On the 2 lane I passed a pickup :driving: going 40 in a 55 and it pulled like a train :prrr: and the temp stayed the same. Going up the bridges it downshifts to 5th and pulls like usual with no slipping, shuddering or temp increase. Seems I got the retarded version of this so called "smart" transmission:smash:. I am thinking of replacing the temp sending unit just for shits and giggles.
Any ideas other than a match are welcome at this point.

gmcya, i feel ya man. i towed mind you no more than 4500lbs last weekend to poconos. my gauge was reading the 3/4 line almost the whole way. shifted fine and ran fine, but never could get the gauge to drop much. only about 85* outside also. we were cruising around 55-70mph. light traffic, but steady driving no stop and go at all. makes ya wonder. it never gets that hot even with my plow on and plowing snow with winter cover.

I have been to 3 dealers and 4 independent shops and get the same damn thing..."never saw a allison do that, we have no idea and could just try changing (insert random part here) with no guarantee". I do not want guesswork, I need someone who knows what the hell is going on and can make my truck dependable again. I am catching hell from my ford buddies to say the least. My friend has an 03 chebby that had weird problems and all he could tell me that the problems were in the electronics, that is all he understood. I have an appointment later this week with that shop. What really sucks it it just did this all of a sudden one day. No warning, it just went stupid on the way home from work. I only use the truck to pull the camper now so I am fine with a stock working tranny. I am done with the mod bug, I just need it to be dependable again. The fluid still looks and smells as clean as when it was changed 1K miles ago. Update to come...

I noticed mine got warmer then I remember seeing it before but I've only had the truck for about 13 month and didn't have the Predator on it for the first several months. I was running errands around town, stopped to talk to a friend leaving WalFart today. Left the truck in drive with my foot holding the break. Went to take off and looked down at my gauges and was surprised to see the needle at the tick mark just below 200. Temp was about 95 outside.

I would be ecstatic to see mine stay below 200* again. According to allison you should not keep it in drive with the brake on for more than 5 minutes. The website has a Q&A section and you can download the factory owners manual also. Lots of good info just no help to me. I am on will call for an opening at the shop my friend went to. This guy is very busy. I am sure I could drop 3-4 grand and just change all the parts but I am the type that wants to know exactly what is wrong first.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/faq/index.jsp?CategoryID=11

The only real slipping present is the torque convertor. If you drive as you say in tow haul either your not getting complete lock up or your torque converter is bad.

If it was anything else you'd be throwing codes as the input output sensor's would detect a slip.

My transmission will ony rise to 200 give or take degrees. Mike L's bigger cooler set up will help but not drop it 40 degree's. Something isn't right.

I would look to a bad TC as your problem. You have checked the fluid and it has been said over filled will cause higher temps.

Back