• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission Temp:

rtquig

Reaction score
In the summer my trans naturally runs warmer, but yestereday at 102F it was close to the 200F mark. I wasn't towing, wasn't alarmed, but don't remember seeing it that high before. Could be we don't normally see over 100F here that often. Have changed out the fluid this spring for the 3rd time since owning it with Transynd and have gone through at least 8 filters at 85K miles. Normal for this ambient temp?

That seems a little high for unloaded driving, but nothing to be alarmed at. I know that you guys in NJ have had some hot temperatures lately.

Were you doing a lot of stop and go driving? What is the level of your tranny fluid? If it is above the bottom of the "hot" mark when warmed up, you might be getting a little foaming action and higher temps.

mine consistantly runs 200* during any off highway driving. the converter makes lots of heat. highway i see 160-180* usually.

I never saw 150 until I moved down here to Florida. Now, routinely, its running at 180-200ish...It made me nervous too because I was used to 120-140 degree temps up in northern NY.

A Mike L trans cooler is on my list here soon.

Seems a lil warm for non modified trans. My Trans hit 205 In 100* South Carolina heat pulling a 24 Ft. enclosed trailer and i was a little concerned, but told it was normal. A mike L cooler is defintley in order.

That seems a little high for unloaded driving, but nothing to be alarmed at. I know that you guys in NJ have had some hot temperatures lately.

Were you doing a lot of stop and go driving? What is the level of your tranny fluid? If it is above the bottom of the "hot" mark when warmed up, you might be getting a little foaming action and higher temps.

It was driving in bumper to bumper traffic stop and go as there were 2 accidents and a car on fire in a 2 mile stretch of highway. When hot the fluid is at the high end of the full marks but not above it. Today again around 195F driving the back roads again with outside temps at around 100F.

When I tow my 26' fiver I see those temps on the trans when towing, but usually the outside temps are in the mid 90's.

I don think there's anything wrong with 200 degrees. Its just a bit warmer than I'm used to and warmer than I'd like to see in stop and go traffic in 95 degree heat.

Mine seems to always run close to 200 now, loaded or not. But I bought it with 82,000 and don't know when the last time the PO changed the spin on. It's at 114,??? right now and I haven't ever changed it. So that's at least 32,000 miles. What's the interval on these?

Drop the fluid level so it's only about 3/8-1/2 way up on the HOT/FULL crosshatch when the trans is at operating temp (180* or higher). You'd be surprised what a difference this makes in the temp. It will run warmer if the level is at the higher end of the crosshatch.

I can usually keep mine 180 or below with t/h on in stop-and-go traffic with an easy right foot until the converter locks.

Last edited:
im typically right at the 150* mark. Winter time without the plow on it hardly budges off the 100* mark. With plow on and pushing it stays right at the 150* mark as well.

I think I will just change out the trans filter even though it only has about 1500 miles on it since the last change, but it will lower the level slightly. I have 3 filters on my shelf so what the heck. One filter off, swap over the magnet and one filter on without fluid.

Mine seems to always run close to 200 now, loaded or not. But I bought it with 82,000 and don't know when the last time the PO changed the spin on. It's at 114,??? right now and I haven't ever changed it. So that's at least 32,000 miles. What's the interval on these?

At $8. a filter I change them out every 10K or so. Where do you live in NH? Go up to Cannon twice a year and have a sister-in-law that lives by Manchester.

106 here yesterday and in the summer it's about 200 all the time. Stop and go really gets it warm so I dont know if a cooler would help that much if there is never enough air moving through it?

okay yest it was 98* here and drove about 20 miles of local driving trans was just over the 200 mark. i have the s/c 4 so the converter generates more heat than stock. also if you want bring it to the dealer and have the forman scan it and verify the temp on the gauge to the actual sensor reading.

At $8. a filter I change them out every 10K or so. Where do you live in NH? Go up to Cannon twice a year and have a sister-in-law that lives by Manchester.
I live in Goffstown, next town over from Manchester. I always intend on changing it, I just always forget to pick up a filter.

The town my sister-in-law lives is Bedford. She has Ponemah Veterinary Hospital in Amherst, New Hampshire.

I buy the trans filters online from an Allison dealer and usually order 3 or 4 so it more likely I'll change them if I have them handy.

Mine is going back to the dealer Thursday. Since they changed the transmission lines I noticed it gets hotter faster. Friday driving hard on the interstate through traffic haulin azz I noticed my temp gauge at 225 and the evo also read 225-227. I did no tice that after the dealer did the work they filled it to the top. I leave my evo on 4 except when towing and do not dog it, never limped it. Could the TC be going out and causing extra heat? It still pulls hard and if it is slipping I can not feel it even with my 11K lb camper hooked to it. I have almost 40K miles on the fluid as I was waiting to do the transynd flush but just have not had time. Could the fluid be breaking down and causing it to run hot? It is fine in city driving, just at high speeds on the interstate does it get hot. The only thing I can imagine is a collapsed line or it is overfull. I will know more after thrs. It never got over 190 before even towing at 70 mph in the summer.

The dealer had it for two days and can not find a problem. No codes, never limped, nada. It runs at 200* on the highway and putting the evo on 4 gets it to 220. It has never been above 200 before even towing. I had them flush and fill it and I replaced the spin on which I do every 10K. What are the chances the cooler is plugged? Any one ever see one plug up? I am afraid to take my truck on a long trip or tow with it like it is. I need some help as the dealer has no idea. Can someone please pm me with mike's cooler info, price and installation? How well does it work as in before and after temps?

Back