• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission swap 4l60e to a 4l80e (hopefully!)

TDD187

Reaction score
Hey to everyone I'm I guess like the new guy!
Ok so I have a 1995 c1500 2wd 5.7L has a 4l60e that has lost D & OD common problem with these trans. I have (complete truck) at my disposal a 1995 c3500 dully RWD 5.7L with a 4l80e trans I believe to be good.
What all would need to be done to accomplish this swap successfully. Or is it not possible. I pulled transmissions a few times but I have never attempted to swap over to another model of transmission.
Any instructions, notes, home video, or suggestions please respond. Appreciate your time and thank you!

Possible- yes. Being able to do it using only the parts you have... idk.

The ecm is going to control the trans. But if you use the ecm from the 4l80e truck- it might not play well with the truck. I can’t imagine anything being damaged from trying. But you might need to leave the transmission not connected, and buy a stand alone controller.

idk if you can use the driveshaft with it also or need to have it modified.

hopefully @THEFERMANATOR can step in and share his magic transmission knowledge.

A custom driveshaft is a given and you should have room to slide the trans crossmember back. You would basically need to convert your 1500 engine and harness over to a 3500's. Both should have the 7427 PCM in them. Wiring changes wouldn't be that many. You have to repin the trans plug from a 4l60e to a 4l80e(there is tons of websites out there that tell you exactly which wires to move, I don't recall exactly which off the top of my head, but I believe you remove 2 wires, the 3-2 downshift solenoid and the on/off lockup wire, then move the 95's pwm lockup wire over to the on/off lockup spot, then you can use the 2 pulled wires for the input speed sensor), swap the trans cooler lines I believe, the nsbu will swap right over and the shift cable will work fine, your only other obstacle will be converting the egr system over. Under 8600 gvwr had a positive or negative transducer egr system, 8600gvwr and up used an on off pwm egr valve.

It shouldn't be a horrible swap since you have a 95 and a matching year donor truck. Just an fyi, you will lose some off the line pep as the 1st gear is a 3.06 in the 4l60e and a 2.48 in the 4l80e, and you will lose some mpg from the extra drag the 4l80e has from parasitic drag, and the .75 4th gear vs the 4l60e's .70. Most of these swaps end up being sold in a marketplace as most think it's simple, but quickly lose interest once they get in the middle of the swap.

Back