• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission Slipping

fdheckart

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Gmc siearra k3500 with a 6.5l turbo diesel. Now mind you I know nothing about diesel engines. but here is my question the last time I drove the truck the transmission while driving acted like I shifted it into nutral. when I check the trans fluid it looked good but when i went to wipe it off with my fingers it burnt my fingers because the stick and fluid were so hot. now the temp gauge does not work in truck. so the question that I have is will the truck overheating cause the transmission to slip out of gear. I also want to mention is that it only does it when the engine is warm. If i start it up and drive it before the truck is warmed up it will shift just fine but as soon as it warms up then it slips out of gear.

If the transmission is overheating, it will burn up the clutch plates, slip and fail to move.
As to not burn yourself- before starting the truck next time, pull the dipstick and smell the fluid. Does it smell burnt?

The 6.5 engine IF PROPERLY cared for will be a descent engine. This is the best site for info on the engine anywhere. You should take the time to read the stickies and learn the short comings of it so you can keep it running long term and keep costs in check.
Depending how in love you are with the truck, it’s condition, financial considerations, etc., you might need to learn the details and costs sooner rather than later because your opening description has me wagering at 85% you are about to have the transmission fully rebuilt.

A huge mistake many people make in this situation is run to a junkyard and get a different 4l80e to replace the current one- but they can be very different internally and not work. So speak up before jumping to that action.

If the transmission is overheating, it will burn up the clutch plates, slip and fail to move.
As to not burn yourself- before starting the truck next time, pull the dipstick and smell the fluid. Does it smell burnt?

The 6.5 engine IF PROPERLY cared for will be a descent engine. This is the best site for info on the engine anywhere. You should take the time to read the stickies and learn the short comings of it so you can keep it running long term and keep costs in check.
Depending how in love you are with the truck, it’s condition, financial considerations, etc., you might need to learn the details and costs sooner rather than later because your opening description has me wagering at 85% you are about to have the transmission fully rebuilt.

A huge mistake many people make in this situation is run to a junkyard and get a different 4l80e to replace the current one- but they can be very different internally and not work. So speak up before jumping to that action.
Were do I find the stickies to learn what I need to know

Back