• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission fluid flow meter?

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
Anyone know about fluid flow meters? I have eyes on a few .50 to 5.0-gallon fluid flow meters that have a max pressure rating of 3k psi and wonder if they will be right for my project which will see about 175 +- psi as worse case.

The plan is to measure transmission fluid flow out of transmission to cooler then after the coolers to measure pressure drop if any to ascertain if the coolers are up to the task at hand using Sonnax cooler flow requirement charts for the Dodge 47/48re hybrid I have built.

Years back gauge questions I had- The folks at Omega.com were awesome at helping me.

The general rules are like a torque wrench- you dont want to use a gauge that is in top or bottom 10% of its capability.

Being way under the max pressure range is definitely safer, and unless you are maxing the gauge’s design volume, you wont be affected by boyles law giving you false readings. I am unfamiliar with the normal volume or peak volume flow for the transmission. But if the peak spec is say 4.5 gpm you should be good. If peak flow might exceed the max,5 gpm, then you would need to expand gauge capacity to keep readings accurate. Producing 175psi id your volume were to accidentally double you would never get near exceeding the gauge where it is dangerous, but accurate readings wouldn’t be possible and depending on gauge design it could ruin the gauge.

Thanks Will, I'm going with an Orange Research SS inline 8-AN 10 gpm gauge to be on the safe side as my 47/48re hybrid build is something no one else that I can find on the web has done...and I know with the addition of all the extra clutches I added after setting proper play will sill increase operating pressures at the stock Dodge settings.
Its like guessing will not work or I will suffer a big loss of $$$$ invested in this build.

Back