• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission coolers

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
Just got my transmission back from being rebuilt and got a new converter. I want to use a new fluid cooler before i run the truck. I see many options available but not sure whats best.

I want a larger then stock cooler, as large as i can fit. If i go to big will there be a problem with flow or pressure?

Anything else i should know about coolers? i will be bypassing the cooler in the radiator and just going straight to and from the tranny and cooler.

Thanks

I would not bypass the radiators cooler if it was mine. External coolers work good, but need airflow to work. At slow speeds they don't work very well as there is no air moving through them to cool the fluid down unless you get one with a fan. As for which ones work good, I would look at the EARLS coolers. They are a stacked plate design that is VERY efficient. I have a B&M super cooler now, and it doesn't work that great in my opinion.

Would I be safe using a larger then stock cooler?

Would I be alright bypassing the cooler in the rad just long enough to get it to the mechanic for a flushing?

I really dont want to go through the rad to begin with because of the crap fluid that went through it and dont want to take a chance of something getting left behind then later going through my tranny that i just spent $1300 on.

Thanks

A larger cooler isn't going to hurt anything. I use brake cleaner or laquer thinner with compressed air to flush out coolers myself, so it is fairly simple to do.

so why is it ok to clean a tranny cooler but not an engine oil cooler?

Engine oil coolers normally get metal in them when they get plugged up from failed bearings whereas tranny coolers get clutch material in them that can be cleaned out with solvents.

Engine oil coolers normally get metal in them when they get plugged up from failed bearings whereas tranny coolers get clutch material in them that can be cleaned out with solvents.

???? when a tranny is trashess usually sends metal through it... right?

imo couple steps above what your planing on doing wiht it... i have ranny striaght air with no prolems in a DD setup. i like haveing hten coolant cooler in line as well.. but its going to be tricky with the new setup.. if i cant get it to work.. im through and addition cooler with e-fan on hten return side of the cooler in the front with a on/off temp switch set at 180* if the fluid gets hotter then that it provides additonal cooling.. on my setup it will be same size or little smaller then whats in front

You can easily ad a biger cooler. With the right cooler You can even reuse the stock brackets, but will have to shorten them.
I would run the lines like the factory had them through the rad then to external cooler. LMK if you want a price on one.

The trans radiator cooler can be flushed because its basicaly one tube, but I would suggest replacing the external cooler if old one could possibly have trash in it.

Yes my tranny had metal flakes and shavings in it that's why I'm nervouse about going through it. My transmission mechanic said it would be fine to bypass the rad because all debris might not get flushed out. A chance I can't afford to take

I'm thinking about a cooler double the size, Leroy please get me a price and some details on the cooler

And by the way, I went with a Transtar rebuilt billet piston converter and it cost me $275 from my mechanic

If your going to bypass the radiators cooler, then make sure and go with a cooler with a fan and thermostatic switch on it to keep the fluid cool at slow speeds.

Mount it any where... out of the airflow the fan will come on more often then if it was uun front of the truck... guess you are going to just run a single cooler or two one with and one without a fan?

Info on cooler coming shortly.

On my Cummins convertion I mounted two of the GM electric pusher fans, so had to find another spot for trans cooler. It went under the bed somewhere (cant remember what spot though). As it turns out I never used either fan as the Cummins ran cool.

Yes Leroy just what I was looking for. I can mount that in stock location with only some minor bracket customizing.

I'll send you a pm later this week about

Thanks

leroy,

whats the thread spec on the gm cooler on the 99 3500 HD
Im not positive. Its a metric thread with an oring seal.
Yes Leroy just what I was looking for. I can mount that in stock location with only some minor bracket customizing.

I'll send you a pm later this week about

Thanks

Just shorten the legs on the brackets, drill new holes and bolt it on.

I was just thinking, I still have my original engine oil cooler in good shape. I can just flush that and use for a transmission cooler?

Back