• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

transfer case

need to know if you can use 241c inner parts in a 243c, if there is a big difference
I too am not sure on the answer to the question.
Just My thoughts here. I believe that the 243 is a little bit heavier duty than the 241.
It seems My sons 99 dodge had a 241 T~Case and I have a 243 in the shed. His front output shaft was binding in the bushing, We removed the output shaft housing from the 243 and bolted it onto the 241.
I did some measuring and I think that the 243 was slightly larger than the 241, enough so that if the 243 was installed into His truck, the drive shafts would have to be shortened an inch or two or some such, its been a while ago since We messed with that. LOL
Welcome to the truck stop Julie.

IIRC, the 241 is manual shift and the 243 is electric shift of pretty much the same item. In theory, some of the innerds should swap, but in not knowing what parts need to swap, really cannot answer the question. As always, the best expert is Ferm in terms of what will actually swap.

need to know if you can use 241c inner parts in a 243c, if there is a big difference
There are differences in input shaft bearing thickness thick or narrow, could be different spline count depending on application and what generation the two cases are.

Open them up and inspect input/output shaft bearing thickness etc....

It depends on the year. The 241 and 243 are the same basic case. 241 is floor shift, and 243 is servo shifted, that's about it. Around 96 new process changed the angle on the planetary gears so the input, planetary's, and front case half's don't interchange between the 2. You also have to pay attention to the input spline count, output spline count, and if it has any letters after the 241/243 other than C(for GM) and D(for Dodge). There is a hd version, dhd version, and even one with a pto. Swapping parts between Dodge and GM can get tricky, but if you stick to cases from the same brand there's quite a bit that can interchange.

It depends on the year. The 241 and 243 are the same basic case. 241 is floor shift, and 243 is servo shifted, that's about it. Around 96 new process changed the angle on the planetary gears so the input, planetary's, and front case half's don't interchange between the 2. You also have to pay attention to the input spline count, output spline count, and if it has any letters after the 241/243 other than C(for GM) and D(for Dodge). There is a hd version, dhd version, and even one with a pto. Swapping parts between Dodge and GM can get tricky, but if you stick to cases from the same brand there's quite a bit that can interchange.
thanks, there both c. just the shift as you said

Back