• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trans Temp with Transynd

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday was our first hot day since last September. 92*. Also the 1st hot day since I changed to Transynd from Dex VI. Before this I never saw more than 185* trans temp even at 100* ambient. Usually at 90* outside I'm always going to see 170-175* MAX. Yesterday it climbed to 200* by the time I was getting off the interstate and went from 70-75 mph to 60-65. It didn't drop down. I'm not real worried about running that hot. Just pretty surprised at a 20* or so gain with the different fluid even though I know Transynd is way better at high temps.

I've found the stuff runs really cool. We've been in the 90's down here for weeks, and I have yet to touch 200 with the TRANSYND in mine. TRANSYND is designed to handle temps in excess of 280 degrees sump temp with no fluid degragation.

I can't believe you used Dex VI(6) this long...that stuff is bad news for the Allison
Yeah, yeah I know. .. Me neither.
Last change was right before the word got out that Allison stopped okaying it. Literally days.
I've found the stuff runs really cool. We've been in the 90's down here for weeks, and I have yet to touch 200 with the TRANSYND in mine. TRANSYND is designed to handle temps in excess of 280 degrees sump temp with no fluid degragation.
As I said, not worrying about 200. Just why.
Maybe I'm over filled for that high a temperature. Doubt it though. Not like this is my first dance with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535

When I changed mine to Transynd, I noticed the temps running a little cooler, but not much, maybe 5 or 10 degrees or so). But I also added the deep pan at the same time. Transynd can handle the higher temps and dissipate the heat much better, so I think that is the main benefit from using it. It stays together much better and does not break down as easy with the higher temps. I religiously let my truck idle for a few minutes to let the turbo and the fluids cool down prior to shutting the truck off, which at the same time, cools down the transmission temps and fluids.

I remember reading somewhere that if you overfill the Allison, it will run hotter. Just mentioning this, but maybe check to see if you are overfull?

Nice 75° day today. Temperature at 160-170 all the way home and the level is smack in the middle of the full hot mark. Right where it should be. :dunno:. Makes no sense to me.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Nice 75° day today. Temperature at 160-170 all the way home and the level is smack in the middle of the full hot mark. Right where it should be. :dunno:. Makes no sense to me.

Sent from my SCH-I535

You could go a touch lower with it. At 160 you want to be around the bottom of the full cross hatch area.

I'm about due for a filter change so I just won't prefill the new one.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Changed the filter a couple of days ago and the level with trans temp gauge reading 180*ish is just 1/8" into the full hot crosshatch area. Temp is more stable it seems. One area of concern, but pretty certain is unrelated, is that I now have a considerable lag between putting the lever in reverse and engagement when trans is warm. Never had that before.

I switched to TRANSYND a couple of years ago after I heard that DEX VI was bad for the Allison seals. I did have the seal at the transmission shaft replaced because it was leaking.

Went on a trip today to get the camper from deer camp. Going down empty this morning I noticed the Transmission temp was about 100 to 105 degrees plus the outside temperature. Other words if it was about 60 degrees outside the Transmission Temps was around 160 or 165. I wondered about how high the temps would be coming back towing the camper and up more hills and grades. This evening outside temps. got to around 88F or 89F. I noticed the Transmission temps. hit about 185 to 190, only reaching 200 one time and then of course when I hit the 7 percent grade (6 Miles or so) and I was getting on it pretty good, it climbed to 210 or so. I must add that the engine temps. never exceeded 205 or 210 until I hit the big grade. They went high enough to where the fan kicked in and I must say that is the first time I have heard the engine fan to start roaring due to a decent load. After it kicked in the temps. started dropping.

Duramax was running 200* the other day (72* Ambient) with a load of furniture (2 entertainment centers in the bed, backseat full of wood, and my 400 lb butt and my 180 lb buddy in the truck), and doing city driving. I wasn't that worried about it really, it never goes above that no matter how much we're towing...

Back