• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny conversion

Stoney

Reaction score
Ok. So since I changed the tranny nothing but trouble...keeps leaking... Randomly slips... Can never really get accurate fluid level cause it will show low (under hash marks, but add a quart of fluid and check it again a hour later and it's way higher then the hot mark... WTF.
So my bro broke the frame on his one ton during the snow storm (plowing) and don't want to fix it so PARTS TRUCK,. It has a 5 speed manual in it. (Millennial anti theft device) .. so how hard is it to switch the truck from automatic to manual? What do I have to change and what will happen leaving all the electrical stuff unplugged that goes to the automatic??
How hard is it to install clutch pedal? Pretty sure I have to change the fly wheel. If I remember right there's already a knockout in the floor home they can be popped out.. somebody told me that when they make them they automatically put it there even if that particular truck is going to be an automatic I could be wrong on that..
Appreciate any advanced advice

There are some threads out there on converting from automatic to manual, doesn't seem too complex so long as you have the motivation and time. Have to cut through the floor for the shifter, and cut through the firewall for the clutch master cylinder rod, I think the studs and dimple for where the rod goes through.

You will also need the wiring harness for the trans and transfer case swapped over. And you will need to swap ECMs for the manual trans.

I don't know if instrument clusters need to be swapped too, someone with more knowledge will hopefully chime in on that

I personally would take the truck to a shop first and get a second opinion/ diagnosis of what is wrong with your transmission before taking the ultimate plunge into a swap. Could be something simple that is less time and money. And this is coming from a guy who hates computers and is extremely biased towards manuals. They can have their own issues with worn gears and clutch engagement/ release. And the NV4500 trans in particular takes a specific gear fluid, and if the trans was run for a long time with the wrong oil you could go through all the trouble of a swap only to have it start going on ya way too soon.

I used to love the old four speed transmissions in My cars and pickups.
I then got to driving truck. Now I want all my vehicles with an auto trans.
The last pickup I had with a manual transmission, the muffler rotted, had a straight pipe installed in its place.
I have a feeling if I would have kept that truck, I would have been getting some speeding tickets. I just loved the sound of that pipe and the variable pitch when shifting. 😖😹😹😹

I used to own two trucks with standard trannys a 67 chevy stepside and a 86 F250. both has a granny 4 speed, not sure what the actual tranny's were but they both would pull hard but wouldn't go very fast lol they were fun to cruise around in. after selling them and going to an automatic, I noticed my left knee cracking and popping all the time.

I get it.. just not sure what to do ... If I take it to a shop there not gonna tell me the problem if there not doing the work I doubt...
Here's what I don't get...if I pull the dip stick out in the morning before I've ever drove the truck for the day the fluid reads way high above the hot mark...start truck drive to town and check it it's below the hot mark...so I assume the tranny sucks up fluid out of the pan when it's running..so why is there the cold mark even further down towards end of stick...I'd assume that first thing in morning would be the cold reading . But Im no tranny guy

First thing in morning no... Just pull it to see where it's at.. but when I check it hot I do it with engine running....where it says cold is that for like if you just started it for the day? As in start it and then check?

Yup, cold reading is just that. Start the engine then pull the dipstick, see where it then is at. Should be at or close to the check cold mark.
The problem I have with adding fluid to an auto transmission, then checking the fluid level. There will be juice left in the fill/check tube, that juice will cling to tje dipping stick and an actual reading is about impossible to get. Let the truck set for several hours or, over night the check the fluid level.
I actually prefer to check the fluid at operating temp. That way I onow it is where it is suppose to be.

@Stoney if when checking it hot and running, the level is below the cold mark it needs some. I have experienced random oddities, slipping and sluggish shifting out of a tranny by just being 1/2 a quart low. with it hot and running add 1/4 a quart at a time leaving it set about 15 minutes at a time (doesn't have to be running while sitting) so that the fluid settles and drains off the inner walls of the tube. before adding fluid, have the bottle inside the house where it will be somewhat warm as if it's been out in the low temps it takes longer to get a more precise reading on the dipping stick!

Back