• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tractors - Post them.

Theres always bad years, thats why many opt for crop insurance if crops are the main source of income. Overtime crop insurance is a loss of money, but it will save you that one year hail wipes your crops out like it did this year in northwestern illinois.

Crop insurance sucks though when you take on new places. Here anyway, when you get a place they make you take the county average until you have 2 years history on that farm. Even if you have a good average from other farms. So I had to take the county average of 100, and had 70% of that so 70 bushel guarantee. Should have had higher coverage I guess, but even 70 is a lot of money to the insurance when you don't use it. So corn got totally stripped just as the ears started to fill. They wanted to wait until after harvest to adjust it, and they always end up estimating way high. So I just left it and combined it so they couldn't screw it up, made 40 bushel. Everyone said it wouldn't make corn at all. Amazingly the ears still filled, they just tipped back 2 inch+ from the end, sucked the ends dry to finish since they had no leaves left and the stalks were so beat. So crop insurance payed 30 bushel minus the premium. Blah...

:mad2:

This year i think 190 was our average. Not one of the best years. weve had 200 bushel years.

The case discbine is nothing compared to our new one. I can cut three times as much hay with the new one in an hour than with the older one.

Attached is the forage harvester technology paper i did.

Vin you really put some time in that paper an I thought it was really informationinal.:thumbsup:

I like the krone Big M for a discbine but no dealer.:mad2:

Crop insurance sucks though when you take on new places. Here anyway, when you get a place they make you take the county average until you have 2 years history on that farm. Even if you have a good average from other farms. So I had to take the county average of 100, and had 70% of that so 70 bushel guarantee. Should have had higher coverage I guess, but even 70 is a lot of money to the insurance when you don't use it. So corn got totally stripped just as the ears started to fill. They wanted to wait until after harvest to adjust it, and they always end up estimating way high. So I just left it and combined it so they couldn't screw it up, made 40 bushel. Everyone said it wouldn't make corn at all. Amazingly the ears still filled, they just tipped back 2 inch+ from the end, sucked the ends dry to finish since they had no leaves left and the stalks were so beat. So crop insurance payed 30 bushel minus the premium. Blah...

:mad2:

yep thats another downside of it.

Like i said crop insurance is a terrible investment over time, but it does save you on those bade years.

I dont know if we even have it or not. Grains not our main source of income, worst comes to worst we can at least just harvest a lot of it for corn silage and buy grain, whioch would still hurt the wallet but not as much.

Vin you really put some time in that paper an I thought it was really informationinal.:thumbsup:

I like the krone Big M for a discbine but no dealer.:mad2:

The big M is nice and IIRC you can pick them up slightly used for about 170,000. The Claas cougar is nicer IMO but way overkill for a lot of farms and has a list price of over $300,000. But man do they knock down hay in a hurry.

our neighbors who milk a total of about 2,800 cows between three farms run two Kuhn 28' tri mower setups on 7820s and have two johndeere 4995 16' discbines as well. They run two miller pro mergers (old oxbos) and this year they are running the new 7950 John Deere chopper. Last year they ran a 7550 and it took them 6 weeks to do all of their corn silage.

Here's One!

Anybody ready for some spring fieldwork?

Attachments

• buried.jpg
    buried.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 17
The big M is nice and IIRC you can pick them up slightly used for about 170,000. The Claas cougar is nicer IMO but way overkill for a lot of farms and has a list price of over $300,000. But man do they knock down hay in a hurry.

our neighbors who milk a total of about 2,800 cows between three farms run two Kuhn 28' tri mower setups on 7820s and have two johndeere 4995 16' discbines as well. They run two miller pro mergers (old oxbos) and this year they are running the new 7950 John Deere chopper. Last year they ran a 7550 and it took them 6 weeks to do all of their corn silage.

well im not sure about you but i cut my lawn with a BIG M II):h Its just to bad they cost so much for doing one thing but there damn good at putting hay on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eReDiSPX_yI

The price if a big m isn't bad. Our 32' pottinget was 82,000 plus we have to mount it on a tractor.

Spring tillage is okay. I'm ready to try out the new quad 5 which I'm informed is actually 34'.

But I'm waiting for first crop hay when j get to go knock down some serious hay with the newbpottinger.

The price if a big m isn't bad. Our 32' pottinget was 82,000 plus we have to mount it on a tractor.

Spring tillage is okay. I'm ready to try out the new quad 5 which I'm informed is actually 34'.

But I'm waiting for first crop hay when j get to go knock down some serious hay with the newbpottinger.

82,000 dang that is a big price tag, must be worth it though.

Would you buy a Krone machine even though the dealer is aways away?

82,000 dang that is a big price tag, must be worth it though.

Would you buy a Krone machine even though the dealer is aways away?

The dealer is actually five minutes from my house.

Krone makes top notch stuff and I think I would buy a big x over a claas.

But the dealer that sells them just simply sucks. So until krone finds a new dealer were not switching

But the dealer that sells them just simply sucks. So until krone finds a new dealer were not switching

So, are you still hoping to trade the JD (7250?) copper for a Claas? Is the Claas that much better of a Chopper? Lots sold here in SW Ontario, so that is why I am asking.

No we have a 7350 and yes the claas is tht much better of a chopper. The Deere is light years behind krone and claas

what is really the big difference between john deere an krone? does it chop any better or just go faster?

In thechopper world it's all about efficiency. They all can make good feed but it comes down to which one does it most efficiently and which ones nicest to run.

sence you seem to know alot about them whats the major difference between the claas green eye an the 900 series?

also is the quadrant 2100 the only large square baler claas sells in america?

The new 900 series is nearly a new chopper from the groud up, many things have stayed te same but a lot has changes. Think of it as. 98 Chevg versus a 05 chevy

Back