• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tractors - Post them.

Looks better in the picture than it is. Was beat on pretty bad. I need to pressure wash it, it is covered in manure.
I am trying to figure out where the brake fluid goes. Anyone know? I ordered books today.

i don't think there is actual brake fluid. its most likely a hydraulic operated system, so check your hydraulic oil level back by the remotes.

It was way low. (off the dip stick) I picked up a pail today and put too much in.:mad2: Now I have to find the drain.
The brakes still don't work. I need to find out how to bleed them.
I pressure washed it today and got a lot of the manure off. Still needs a lot more more cleaning. It was the dirtiest tractor I have ever seen.

It was way low. (off the dip stick) I picked up a pail today and put too much in.:mad2: Now I have to find the drain.
The brakes still don't work. I need to find out how to bleed them.
I pressure washed it today and got a lot of the manure off. Still needs a lot more more cleaning. It was the dirtiest tractor I have ever seen.

Go to the JD dealer and get some manuals, like service, etc. You gonna paint it, etc?

Nice tractor.

A crew i chopped with in NW illinois. Not our equipment but its a cool pic. They do about 3,000 acres of custom corn silage harvesting.

What area were you guys chopping around?

Here's some stuff at the farm I work at.

Tractors:
John Deere
-8330 (FWA, ILS front end)
-7220 (w/loader)
-6330 (fwa, w/loader)
-6300 (fwa, w/loader)
-955 (fwa, w/loader & 5' belly deck)

Farmall
-M
-M for spare parts

Skid Loaders:
Bobcat s185
Deere 332 2spd

Combine:
Deere 9610

I'll have to get equipment numbers off all our other stuff, don't know them off the top of my head.

Onto the pictures.
combine.jpg

tractorandcart.jpg

FarmMisc012.jpg

FarmMisc037.jpg

FarmMisc041.jpg

The Boss.
Areallydirtydog002.jpg

Planting5-23-09003.jpg

Planting5-23-09005.jpg

Planting5-23-09007.jpg

Planting5-23-09012.jpg

Planting5-22-09035.jpg

Planting5-22-09036.jpg

Planting5-22-09056.jpg

Planting5-22-09058.jpg

Planting5-22-09148.jpg

PickinCorn2015.jpg

2892_167266435356_549195356_6581531.jpg

Balinghayfirstcutting005.jpg

Balinghayfirstcutting025.jpg

And a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M55iNFk6780

we were chopping around stockton, pearl city, kent and such in that area. Their farm is technically out of pearl city. Birchen Farms is the name

They also go down towards peoria and do some harvesting.

A big client up north is rancho dairy.

I just bought this. Needs a lot of work. The worst problems other that beatup looking is no brakes and the steering is screwed up and needs a seat. But it was cheap. ):h

if you don't mind me askin...how cheap is cheap?

168678.jpg

The chopper were hoping to trade the deere for

there is a claas assembly plant here in town and one of my teachers was the head maint guy there we went on a tour. man some of there equipment is amazing they make a sweet tractor that the cab will lift up and turn 180* so you can drive either way. and the lexion combines with the cats in them are so sweet. they have some very sweet promo videos showing there equipment. the stuff they make for silage is incredible

I have a question along with my friend an his dad. We combine 100acres of corn an we would like to know what it would pay to chop all of that an sell the chopped corn instead of shelled corn? I mean we wouldnt sell it all we would keep some to feed the cattle but is this worth it? Ive seen a few farmers over the internet do this an just wonder what the benifits are.

I have a question along with my friend an his dad. We combine 100acres of corn an we would like to know what it would pay to chop all of that an sell the chopped corn instead of shelled corn? I mean we wouldnt sell it all we would keep some to feed the cattle but is this worth it? Ive seen a few farmers over the internet do this an just wonder what the benifits are.
You'd have to have a ready market for silage if that's what you're thinking Brandon. I don't know what it would be worth.

There are a lot of issues with producing corn silage.

1: You have to be near your buyer. Usually harvesters dont want to haul a load more than 10 miles one way or it becomes inefficient as the chopper has to wait for the trucks to return. An alternative option is for you to foot all of the costs, store it yourself and then sell it to a farmer a little further away. But after all of these costs it will be a big headache especially since corn silage is not like grain. Once you open up that plastic its gotta go which is why usually only one dairy farmer sells to another dairy farmer out of the trench (pit,clamp,bunker,bag,silo etc).

2. Figuring out the price to be paid can be a headache. With corn silage it can be a guessing game. However most custom harvesters have portable scales which eliminates part of the guessing game. There are many ways to price corn silage. One way is simply by the ton adjusted by the dry matter (so that the buyer doesnt pay for excess water). Another way is to just use the current grain price. Say if corn is at $3.80, take that times 7 (6-8 bu/ton) then add $6 per ton for the extra fiber from the rest of the plant. This would equal out $32.6/ton. However you more than likely wont get that unless you are harvesting it and throwing the tires on the tarp when your finished. Since the farmer has to foot the bill for the harvest, the price you will get paid will be lower.

Lets say in the end all said and done you end up getting $29/ton. (I should add that I dont know really if this is truely a real world price. Ive never had to price corn silage before, Im just using the formulas I learned in my Forage Class)

Now lets say you average 25/tons an acre which is pretty good. Im not sure if this is common for your area especially if its being grown for grain. On our farm we averaged 29 tons per acre.

Lets also say your corn yeild is 200 bu/ac (again dont know what your crops produce)

And well say the grain price is $3.80 to keep the problem equal.

If you opt to go the corn silage route you will end up making $72,500

Heres the equation

25x100($3.80 x 7 + $6 - $3.6)= $72,500

x=ya(p7 + 6 -c)

x= Net Gain
y= Yeild/Acre in tons
p= Current Corn Price
c= Negotiated harvest costs to you.

Now lets say you got 200bu/ac. and the price is still $3.80

200x100x3.80= $76,000

So you make $3,500 more by harvesting grain, assuming all things equal. However with the corn silage you have no machine wear or other costs.

There is a market for corn silage. Its a great feed. Its just that its no economical to transport it very far.

Oh and one more thing, if you want to be efficient in this corn silage endeavor make sure you dont use the chopper in your avatar.

Back