• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tq converter ?

The Don

in between lost and found
Reaction score
my tq converter just started to slip towing 5er. I have replaced/flushed fluid approx 5k miles ago with internal filter and spin on then, 2 days ago when i felt the first slip I checked fluid level and for s&g's I put a new spin on and topped fluid. my fluid has been and still is clear red no burnt smell. today just going to get fuel it slipped again without a load. fuel station about 10 miles from house. getting no codes no lights on dash.

info on truck
2001 2500HD 4x4
198,000 miles
stock programming
modified exhaust 6"stack no muff
285/75/16 tires

should I just replace the converter or ???

thanx DON

I pull this regularly approx weight is 10k lbs
1107101146-00.jpg

Beings that 01 had some converter issues, I would reccomend pulling the trans out and freshening it up and adding in a TRANSGO shift kit and put a TRANSTAR single disc billet converter back in it. With that many miles it would be worthwhile to pull the trans down and check it over. SInce your stock on the tuning, a single disc converter will be fine, and the TRANSGO would be good insurance for down the road in case you want to turn it up some.

so your sayin just a transgo and converter rather than complete overhaul?
I guess i need to ask is what would be the best build since its pulled anyway?
Kinda thinkin that I will check the transfercase as well since it will get pulled.
spend the cash only once type thing.

so your sayin just a transgo and converter rather than complete overhaul?
I guess i need to ask is what would be the best build since its pulled anyway?
Kinda thinkin that I will check the transfercase as well since it will get pulled.
spend the cash only once type thing.

It all depends on your plans and waht you find inside. If all the clutches are good, and you don't plan on running more than a 100HP tune then I would put a TRANSTAR billet single disc converter and a TRANSGO kit in it and call it good. If you want to tuen up the power than look into a SUNCOAST stage 3 or GMAX kit along with a triple disc PRECISION ML converter.

Back