• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Toyota 4Runner Transmission

Big T

Reaction score
2014 4Runner with Asian 750F automatic transmission at 336K miles. It is doing more hunter between gears at highway speeds and going up grades. Dropping from top gear done to next lowest gear even on flat terrain when accelerating. Seems more than normal. Any ideas? Is this transmission giving it up?

2014 4Runner with Asian 750F automatic transmission at 336K miles. It is doing more hunter between gears at highway speeds and going up grades. Dropping from top gear done to next lowest gear even on flat terrain when accelerating. Seems more than normal. Any ideas? Is this transmission giving it up?
From what I’ve read, these transmissions are notorious for hunting between 5th and 4th gears. I’m wondering if my wife just noticed it because she’s running ac in the warmer weather?

Further update: Transmission downshifted while coasting down a hill into Lahabra, CA. Don’t recall seeing that happen before. I estimate the hill at 1/2 to 3/4 mile long and of decent grade. Speed limit is 50 mph which is what we were going.

Further update: Transmission downshifted while coasting down a hill into Lahabra, CA. Don’t recall seeing that happen before. I estimate the hill at 1/2 to 3/4 mile long and of decent grade. Speed limit is 50 mph which is what we were going.
I found discussions on the internet about this and apparently it’s a standard part of the programming. Just haven’t been in the vehicle in awhile and I have my wife trained to point out things.

Back