• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Towing this with my 1500?

Any idea of the weight? Does your truck have the 14 bolt 9 1/2 " rear axle? Tranny cooler?

count the number of bolts in the cover. It should be either 10 or 14. The 2wd 1/2 tons usually have 10 bolt rear axles. With a 14 bolt I would't worry at all. I wouldn't be as comfortable with a 10 bolt. I'd wanna be shure it's healthy before going long distance.

Looked it up in NADA weight is 4000 & it's 23 feet long
I thought it would be more than that since it is a tandem axle trailer. Shouldn't be a problem as long as the trailer brakes work.

Look at your high performance low profile tires of the avtar pic you have. I suggest this is a weak link and cause for concern. Now look at the tire weight rating on sidewall and then the equivalent LT 15 or 16 tire rating. Now look at the driver side door weight ratings.

Then you can decide if the tires cost you towing performance or are within limits of what you will be towing.

Recently adjusted your rear drum brakes?

Should be a cake walk otherwise.

Thanks all, gonna count the bolts tomorrow am.

Planning to pull & inspect the rear drums/shoes. Have not purchased the boat, just planning to go & give a look see. Didn't want to hurt my truck buy purchasing something that would give her heartburn every time I pull it. Yea I was surprised NADA estimates the weight at 4K also.

The 20" rims & tires may be a concern, I'll check on the ratings thanks!

I'd be surprised if the boat isn't more than 4,000 lbs. without the trailer. Add a thousand lbs. for the trailer, 500-600 lbs. for fuel and gear, and you're probably looking at 5,500 lbs. or a bit more.

I would put the trailered weight on that boat in the 6,000-6,500 pound range when it's loaded out like it would be going on a trip. Can the truck do it, yes. Just use your head stopping is all. Also like another poster mentioned, make sure them low profile tires are up to the task. Many of those tires are made for handling, and not towing.

been seeing some new fifth wheel camper trailers lately, forget the name right now but they are ultra luxurious and come with big pimpin' 22 inch chrome wheels. Looked pretty sexy, but I couldn't help but wonder how they'd tow. Couldn't be that bad or they probably wouldn't use them. Initially I thought the owner put them on himself on the first one I saw, but when I stopped at the RV dealer and saw a line of them, all with 22s. I know when I used to have them on my wifes Avalanche 1500, it handled well, however they would chase cracks and uneven portions of the road. I'd think I'd not like to tow a trailer with big wheels on it, but really the 20s aren't that big and in my experience they have equal or better ratings to stock.

I think that truck oughta be able to haul that boat ok. Make sure the brakes work and the bearings and tires are in good shape (boat trailers always have bearing problems). The aerodynamics of a boat work in your favor. And they're always a lot lighter than they look. NADA figure should include eerything but the trailer weight, like a GVWR. Counts passengers and gear and fuel. I think.

Back