• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tow truck Rollbacks vs. tilt hydraulic trailers

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
I have needed to tow a car 4X in the past couple months or so. We are doing AC work and my partner is doing auto repair including getting non-op cars going. Esp like the 1992 project truck of mine.

So we aren't opening a towing business, but, an auto transport and repair type of deal.

So 1990's Dodge, Chevy, or Ford 3500 HD used rollback truck like the small ones we are looking at vs. a brand new hydraulic powered tilt trailer with a wrench? I have rented a trailer like this to have the vehicles or paid a service in town. The hyd tilt trailer loads non-op cars fairly quick.

I have to be in the street to drop a car in the driveway with the trailer however. But we have 3 2500+ trucks to tow with. Patch, a 1993 454, and my 2003 Dodge 5.9. (The Dodge gets 13.5 - 15MPG towing the rough Payson trip. Vs 10.4 MPG a 6.5 modified would get.)

Cost is like $7000 for new trailer and $10,000 for the 1993 fixed up or other 1990's Dodge or Ford 3500 HD truck. Frame repairs look to be around $2K and others are for sale around $10K.

I could rent the trailer out when we are not using it.

Cost would be ~$10K fixed up for this one:

IMG-20150630-00734.jpg

Same $10000 cost:

1993tx.jpg

tx1993.jpg

91dodge.JPG

Tilt Trailer New around $7000.

trailertilt.jpg

eintow.jpg

Boo ^^^

I like the trailer if you have the space to store it (got to have space for a wrecker to) Overall cost will be less IMO. One thing though is that a wrecker looks more professional in the eyes of the average idiot, so image could play into it??

Not dealing with average idiot. Local shops, car dealer, and our own use. Again not doing recovery or breakdown get off the main highway towing. Instead of one truck I could tow it with what runs.

Patch doesn't look professional... Now a logo "if we can keep this Rat Rod running" on the tailgate... :D

One new trailer like we are thinking of:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/fod/5105036192.html

Interestingly enough they have tow 4 less out here that uses trailers exclusively.
http://www.tow4less.com/services
"All of our trucks utilize a flatbed trailer"

I'd love that trailer.

Around here average idiot would look at you weird if you pulled up to tow with a trailer, but since you working with other pro's in the business I don't think they will care. And big plus that you can tow with what runs.

I think the trailer would be more versatile. Could put on temporary sides on to haul mulch, dirt, landscape rock etc. Renting would also afford some income if you are willing. Be careful as the trailer is more likely to get stolen.

Back