• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torque converter

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
I have a family member with a 06 dmax, 6 speed tranny, EFI live tuner, better turbo, etc.

He wants a better torque converter than stock for towing.

Can anyone recommend a good converter ?

He is a little hard on a truck so it needs to be a stout converter...

Thanks

I don't know much about what's good and what's not, but have only read here about the triple disc one like Warwagon used working well for heavy use.

How much power is he running? Suncoast has been getting some bad press here lately. That said, I'm still happy with my Precision Industries(of Tennessee). Goerand seems to be the go to right now. But without knowing power goals it is tough to say which converter. And is he building the trans or just doing a converter?

He said he's 100hp over stock, and it's only the converter being changed..
For that power level a triple disc is overkill. And there is no way I would put a $1500 converter in without going through the trans. Almost always if the converter is going, in a 6 speed, the C3 & C4 clutches will also be in rough shape(C2's are hit or miss with the 6 speeds). The LML converter(29546573) is a good budget upgrade over the stock early 6 speed converter. It's a little looser I've been told, but has an improved lockup clutch. Transtar and a few others make a billet single disc for a decent price, but the LML converter is supposed to hold up better for less money.

Back