• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tools to remove NV4500 from truck

nick94

Reaction score
I am going to take a day off to go to local junk yard to remove a NV4500 from a 1996 crew cab truck. I dont want to carry all my tools so I need to findout the socket sizes i will need along with other speciality tools to remove drive shafts and NV4500 from truck. I think the truck has the 454 engine.

No specialty tools that I can think of. A couple jacks, blocks, Short metric wrenches, metric and standard socket sets, extensions, wobbles, and a 12 pack will get the job done.

Not off the top of my head. Search my nv4500 and BW rebuild thread in the drive train section, I might have put it in there. If not there check my 8.1l ally thread.

I'd bet on 10,12,13,15,18 1/2,9/16,5/8,3/4

The midget wrenches, extensions, and wobbles help in tight places.

Source Unknown

18mm for trans to bellhousing iirc. The bellhousing to engine may have funky "double" bolts think it was 14 mm for nut then needed deep 13 mm for bolt iirc but I would not bet on exact same for 454 probably but no bets.

My 97 had torx button heads for the cross member to rubber mount. Might not have take that off if its not 4x4 just take it off the transmission maybe. Tanner's list should cover it. If you want to drain transmission of fluid and it doesn't have a drain plug use the bottom bolt of the PTO cover one side or the other (maybe both sides) are thru holes.

Thank you so much. This is one of those pick and pull places in the middle of nowhere. thank you agai. Regards Ernest

7/16 for the drive shaft

18 volt 3/8" drive battery impact or 1/2" drive with an adapter

Seems I used a T50 for something. Line wrench for the slave cylinder.

Not a six point / hex bolt it has 12 sides/ pts a regular 12 pt box end wrench or 12 pt socket fits them like a glove. I have seen a couple in different places but I don't remember one on this job.

3 mounting bolts for the ip are 12 point bolts. so are some on certain transfer cases. cant think of others now.

When you go to a junkyard, especially a remote one, bring more than you need, at least in the truck. You don't know what some schmuck put in his truck that was so well cared for it is now in a junkyard.

quick update on the trip to junk yard. I removed the transmission, and the drive shafts. My truck is a 1994 c3500 single wheel. Long wheel base. The donor was a 1996 same as my truck. So I was able to remove both shafts. I had priced a local shaft to custom made the one shaft, between the new shaft and the balancing of both shafts I was quoted 250-300? So I got both shafts now. Paid $300 for transmission and shafts.

The transmission is heavy, on top the junk yard doesn't allow for you to bring jacks. So I had to be very creative with to pull the tranny. I came home and notice the id tag is almost gone, but i was able to get some of the letter from the tag. According to the chart from Advance adapters from California the transmission is a 1995 GMT-455.

Do any of you know what the GMT-455 stands for?

I want to thank all of you that replied to my original posting your feedback was what made job a lot easier.P.S. my body is sore today a lot of work for one man, but worth it.

Thank you.

Ernest

Gmt455 is a 3500hd iirc.

That is a good price for what you got!

I did mine w/ only a bottle jack, the tranny just landed on my chest lol

Source Unknown

Back