• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

To pump or not to pump?

Hink

Overkill Is Underrated
Reaction score
Another one of those things that I've read conflicting reports on...

When installing your lifters, do you prime them before install or just lube liberally and let them pump up when priming the engine?

I'm saying prime but I wanted to run it by you all.

Last edited:
I always prime them for any engine. Then of course prime the oil system with an oil pump drive.

Yeah, I've got Leroy's oil system primer. I'll hopefully be using it in the next couple days.

One thing I thought was odd in the priming, I saw a couple times where it was advised to use diesel or kerosene to prime, or that and then oil. Do you do it that way, or just use oil?

Seems strange to put fuel in your oil system, even if it's only a little bit.

with non adjustable rockers the only adjustment is to buy custom length pushrods. most hydraulic lifters have a fair amount of range so not as critical for a daily driver. but if you've modded the engine it's a good idea to check where it's at

with non adjustable rockers the only adjustment is to buy custom length pushrods. most hydraulic lifters have a fair amount of range so not as critical for a daily driver. but if you've modded the engine it's a good idea to check where it's at

Ok. And that's what checking the valve recession and piston protrusion verifies (covered here). If they are in spec, then the pushrod length doesn't need to be altered.

I'm used to setting lash on solid lifter engines but was stumped on this one! : )>

IIRC your using HS roller rockers. Been awhile but IIRC the ideal length let's the roller tip kinda center on the valve stem on it's arc of travel.

Also a quick and dirty check is to lay a straight edge across the top of the valve stems and see if there's any that are high or low. If there are any that are too high then a cheap fix is to shorten the stem length. Ideally the recession height should be the same which should put the stems at the same height

to make the swap easier in the future the closer everything is now the less issues later. IIRC you can get the HS rockers in the adjustable version too

anytime, just be aware summer is my busy time and may not have much time to spare, but your more than welcome to stop by

The procedure in the manual for installing OEM rockers is worth mentioning: where you spin the engine over to avoid a pumped up lifter smacking a valve on install. (From memory...) Is the aftermarket rockers different?

The procedure in the manual for installing OEM rockers is worth mentioning: where you spin the engine over to avoid a pumped up lifter smacking a valve on install. (From memory...) Is the aftermarket rockers different?

Yup WW, that's what I was thinking of. I knew I read it somewhere before.
But then in my GMC service manual, Chevy unit repair manual, Hummer manual, and military manual, they say to prime.
And I don't know how you could smack when all the clearances have been checked and verified?

Back