• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors

MrMarty51

Reaction score
The wifey has a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu.
The tire pressure monitor system lamp has been glowing now for about three years.
today I took the car in to get it serviced, told the manager if he had a device for checking the batteries in the sensors and how much to install new batteries.
WELP, i guess there is no replacing the batteries, they tried waking up the sensors but said all the batteries was dead. To the tune of $65.00 a wheel they could fix that problem. NOPE, that aint going to happen.
I called the two other tire shops in town, one shop was more money and Tire Rama was $50.00 a wheel.
Thinking might be cheaper to get a HF bead breaker device and replace them things myself.
There are a lot of brands out there but, I am guessing the Delco units would be the best. Only problem I see is how long have these things been setting on the shelf, broadcasting the signal to nothing and how long would they last once installed.
Prices on the Delco brand units range anywhere from $16.00 to $65.00 each and ebay they can be bought in sets of four for about $75.00.
Like I say, my concern would be how long batteries would last once installed.
Anyone have some experience with these things ?

When I bought new wheels for the 07 They sent new ones to me I am sure they were the cheapest thing available. Been 3 yrs they work fine.

I just kind of like having all the systems functional. It seems that if I let one item go, then another and pretty soon something serious happens and I’ll be trying to get that problem plus everything else that has messed up all functional all at the same time, then it turns into a cussing match. 😠😩😹😹😹
Now to decide if I want a cheap tire changing device and take care of this problem myself, or, let the shop handle it for $200.00.
Guess I’ll price a HF tire machine then take it from there.

Northern Tools has what looks like a decent tire changer machine for $130.00 shipped to Me. Guess that aint too bad a price. That way, if I have the bead breaker device, I will be able to replace them monsters as they wear down the batteries.
might just wait for a while too. 🤷‍♂️

A bunch of the cost you pay is for the ease of use. Old fashion tire bars is what I use. I don’t suggest a hammer for breaking beads. Get one of the slide hammer style- they work great for small to large tires. I’ve done everything from 13” car tires to semi tires with that.

If you want that feature to work on the car-ya install them.
If you don’t really care but don’t want to disable the system and want the light off the dssh- get a piece of pipe (nipple) threaded on both ends. Buy two caps, drill hole in one end and put in a metal valve stem. Put sensors inside screw onncaps and air up pipe. Sesnors read what they should, light is out. Then whenever you buy new tires next time- install them. Should be whatever the cost of sensors plus $15 for a couple plumbing parts. Some people use pvc, others metal. Then put the device in the trunk or behind pickup seat, but it is wise to use sharpie and write on it TPMS as to not exite people that think they see a pipe bomb. Haha

And thats all that needs to be done, is just the bead broke down. Mark the location of the tire to the wheel and should not even have to balance the tires.
Was a time I was good at swinging a hammer and hitting what needed hit. Lost a lot of grip in the hands. I dont trust myself to swing a hammer now, not a larger one, like a three or four pounder.

Yes mark the tire, but don’t think balance a tire new and never again.
The rubber wears away and balance of tires change. It’s more pronounced in bigger tires, but is true for all.
Now days there are centrimatics, balance masters, and tire beads- all to give continuous balance in tires regardless of tire wear. Used to be a guy would pour in a quart of water before seating the bead so long as not a steel rim. The water spins around same as the beads or other stuff and self balances. The water wont mess with mag or aluminum rims. Obviously doesn’t mess with the rubber tire. No clue if the tpms withstands it. But a couple hand full of the plastic bbs from kids gun does the trick.

I convinced a buddy one time to use regular bbs when he didn’t want to do the water. It worked great but his big 44s and steel wheels made a racket each time he stopped or drove really slow! Hahaha

I find it odd that all the sensors are dead . Does the DIC have any pressures showing ? Have you put it on a scanner ?

I was told that new sensors have to have the car hooked to a scanner so the ecm would recognize them. Also if you rotate tires you need to rescan so the ECM knows tire position.

I was told that new sensors have to have the car hooked to a scanner so the ecm would recognize them. Also if you rotate tires you need to rescan so the ECM knows tire position.
Guy at the dealership said it can be done with the key fob too. IDK, guess I’ll find out. I think that Autel MaxiAP200 will do it too. I see in the menu where it shows a bunch of stuff that can be reset. 🤷‍♂️

Yes mark the tire, but don’t think balance a tire new and never again.
The rubber wears away and balance of tires change. It’s more pronounced in bigger tires, but is true for all.
Now days there are centrimatics, balance masters, and tire beads- all to give continuous balance in tires regardless of tire wear. Used to be a guy would pour in a quart of water before seating the bead so long as not a steel rim. The water spins around same as the beads or other stuff and self balances. The water wont mess with mag or aluminum rims. Obviously doesn’t mess with the rubber tire. No clue if the tpms withstands it. But a couple hand full of the plastic bbs from kids gun does the trick.

I convinced a buddy one time to use regular bbs when he didn’t want to do the water. It worked great but his big 44s and steel wheels made a racket each time he stopped or drove really slow! Hahaha
That may work in the land of no freeze :happy: Up here some use an antifreeze mix

That ice will melt after a few miles. But man getting up to speed may ride like a toy clown car!

Not saying my 37” tall bias tires don’t ride like that after sitting unused for a couple months on a 10,000 lbs vehicle. Haha. But that goes away before mile #3.

It probably won't melt at -40
Your just not driving fast enough! One big icecube ought to smash into enough small piece at 80 mph braking!! of course, so might the windshield, fenders, bumper.... haha

Hummer with central tire inflation cant use the little plastic bbs. They get caught in the air lines. But any of yall diy tire guys ought to use them. They work. You can add extra over recommendation, just never to few or it might not work all the way. I have a few bags left around here somewhere i can post pic of if ya don’t know what they are

Just ignore it. New vehicles from several OEM's lately have had a run of bad tire sensors. Including the receiver unit having problems on GM. In other words new parts may not be good parts at the moment.

Back