• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tips and tricks

Ok, i was never a “glove guy”. I got my hands dirty and dealt with it.
So saw this and showed a buddy who still spins wrenches for a living. He said yeah- helps not just retrieving a socket but when removing or installing fasteners in oddball places.

Drop a small magnet in the finger of a nitrile glove so it’s on the end of your finger.

My 1/4” drive socket set has a swivel that is wore out.
When a socket is attached to it the end the socket is on drops and makes it mighty difficult to get the socket onto tje next bolt head or nut.
A wrap of electrical tape holds the swivel end the socket is attached to straight and in alignment, but the socket can also be moved into a direction as needed.
The tape lasts a very long time too.
I the very near past I have found that a strip of gorilla tape wrapped around the swivel holds better and for longer. 😹

Ok, i was never a “glove guy”. I got my hands dirty and dealt with it.
So saw this and showed a buddy who still spins wrenches for a living. He said yeah- helps not just retrieving a socket but when removing or installing fasteners in oddball places.

Drop a small magnet in the finger of a nitrile glove so it’s on the end of your finger.
Genius! And simple.

My 1/4” drive socket set has a swivel that is wore out.
When a socket is attached to it the end the socket is on drops and makes it mighty difficult to get the socket onto tje next bolt head or nut.
A wrap of electrical tape holds the swivel end the socket is attached to straight and in alignment, but the socket can also be moved into a direction as needed.
The tape lasts a very long time too.
I the very near past I have found that a strip of gorilla tape wrapped around the swivel holds better and for longer. 😹
I started using wobble extensions about 1979 and have only used a swivel a few times since.

Yup. I have wobble sockets too. For the 3/8ths and 1/2” drive.
Also have the impact stand alone wobbly for the 1/2” and 3/8ths inch drive.
Just not in the 1/4” drive. 😹
When I first started buying the wobble extensions, the only place I could find them available was harbor freight.

I haven't broke many over the years. The set come with 2/4, 3/8 & 1/2.
Years ago I bought a set of stubby wobbles and adapters - 3/8 to 1/4, 1/4 to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/2 & 1/2 to 3/8.

I wish I had bought more of the stubbies. I haven't been able to find more. Must have been discontinued. Apparently I was the only person that found them really handy.

When I first started buying the wobble extensions, the only place I could find them available was harbor freight.

I haven't broke many over the years. The set come with 2/4, 3/8 & 1/2.
Years ago I bought a set of stubby wobbles and adapters - 3/8 to 1/4, 1/4 to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/2 & 1/2 to 3/8.

I wish I had bought more of the stubbies. I haven't been able to find more. Must have been discontinued. Apparently I was the only person that found them really handy.

I do have one wobbly extension, an inch or two long. Thats the only one of those that I have.

The other wobblys I have are like these. Mine are a little deeper on the socket end.
Check this out!
https://a.co/d/8r5V0sq
I've got a set about half that size we used mostly for bell housing bolts on the sbc's.

Once we started using the wobble extensions, we rarely used those anymore

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently had the need for that funky universal socket, the one harbor freight sells with all the little needles inside. I was astonished that it made quick work on a bolt that had half of the head missing!

I recently had the need for that funky universal socket, the one harbor freight sells with all the little needles inside. I was astonished that it made quick work on a bolt that had half of the head missing!
I have one of those hanging on the peg board. I have never used it but thought there are areas where it could be handy.
Wing nuts comes to mind.
Maybe some of them triangulate head ice anchor screws that holds the shanty from blowing across the ice, use that socket and a battery powered drill and auger them babys right in.

I dont buy many more new tools but added some 1/2 impact wobs lately and they are dandy, got them HF and we might have gotten a second set for the truck.

Back