• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Timing question

Justin837

Reaction score
a friend of mine got aNew snap on solstice scanner so for fun we decided
To hook up the scanner and my timing was des inj timing was 9.1
Act inj was the same and tdc offset showed what I believe to be+ 1.71
because there was no negitive sign in front, is this right
should I rotate the pump because reading up on the subject says if the injection
Timing was + 8.5 it = -1.50 could some one please explain?

Someone else should chime in, but do any snap on scanners read these trucks correctly. My brick doesn't but there is a conversion chart chart for it. How does it run? And wait for somebody to post before changing anything. Just my opinion though and maybe incorrect.

I would bet that the scanner reading are correct, especially with a Newer Snap on scanner. I have a new OTC Genisys scanner that i bought a month ago, maybe i will look at my truck tomorrow. About 2 years ago I used a GM Tech 1 to relearn the TDC offset. So my timing should be correct.

Also i'd bet there are threads here about this same subject.

I know when I was a Mac Tool guy until 2010, that was one of the easy to pick on things of Snap-on scanners was the inaccurate timing readings for many engines, not just the 6.5.

Brad the national scantool field expert for all US Snap-on for about 20 years-left corporate and bought a route, becomeing 1 of my 3 competitors for them until he passed last year. Their scantools are usually rock solid. The OTC is the only thing that beats them, but that is usually preference of what is more important. With Snap-On doing so much reverse engineering that is one of the most difficult things to decifer.

I have no idea if they corrected it yet, but last I knew they still had it wrong for the 6.5. I would think if someone has a corrective chart Snap-on would be happy to get the info to correct their updates.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've been reading up on the subject
A lot since I hooked it up, the truck runs pretty good. Just keep searching
And use the right tool for the job

for your 97 you can use carcode. I know a lot of people don't like it but it works. I have an old laptop I keep it and gmctdscan on. A buddy of mine own's his own shop with his last update he lost the ability to time 6.5s, he calls me to do it.

Back