• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time to replace clutch..

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
Well, I payed someone to replace the clutch on my JD2030 years ago, gave instructions to use JD parts, I wanted the clutch to lase a long time... well I don't think they did..

I have never liked the performance or feel ever since, always felt soft with no holding strength.

It's a heavy tractor with a loader, water filled tires, around 7k lbs.

Well here it is coming up on the season to fertilize the hay fields and sure enough the clutch is slipping bad..

I ordered all new parts, JD pressure plate, 6 button disc, new flywheel, etc.. The flywheel in it is a step type, if the disc surface gets turned the outside step needs to be cut down as well to a certain height. Well to save time I opted to replace it rather than wait and get it turned, I work 5 10hr days and get off too late to get anything done..

Well splitting the tractor in half is going to be a chore by myself, I think getting it back together is going to be the worst part, those big ass rear tires full of water are heavy !!!!! That and keeping both half's level and not falling..

Today it's pressure washer time then in the small shop that has a flat concrete floor and get started disconnecting things... pics will follow...

If you think truck parts are expensive start buying JD parts... I need a "go fund me" page :rolleyes:

You really need a splitting frame to do that safely Chris. Ask around to see if someone locally has one. I used on on an IH706 many years ago and I wouldn't want to do that without.

I have checked and nothing around...

I will chock both front tires, use large timbers and a jack on the front half, and a floor jack & timbers on the rear..

I'm by myself here so I got to do what I can... I might be able to use the engine hoist if theirs room to help move the rear section.. we will see......

I messaged this place, they are a couple hours from me, if I can pick it up on a weekend I'll get it...

Guess I might could sell it when I'm done...

Yeah, it hurts to have to justify buying tools with so few uses.

You would think there were more options to rent stuff like that. I'd need to be able to rent it for 2 or 3 weekends to do the job which usually makes it uneconomical. Buying and reselling makes sense but would have to be patient and might take a bath on resale such that its one of those things that gets stored away because its worth more to you than the cash.

I would like to see what you come up with. Having that purpose-built multi-adjustable splitter frame would make the job so much easier. But It doesn't look like much to fab up something with more useful tools for later. Say a floor jack welded or bolted to a sub frame bolted to moving skates. But time is money.

Or similarly, that frame splitter could be taken apart and used for nice adjustable jack stands so its could be easier to justify.

Biggest tractors I worked on was the types You see mowing along the highways. Had to split several of those in My time.
loaders was a different story though. LOL

Yeah, it hurts to have to justify buying tools with so few uses.

Attempting to do the job without the proper tools has to be weighed for risk. The entire tractor and expensive new parts being destroyed is an extreme example, but frankly, is all expendable vs. serious injury to "You".

I have hired out a job with a heavy transmission and had to pay for it 2x before I got it the actual problem fixed. Further justification to do the job properly oneself. However I knew that NV5600 was out of my weight class. The "bench press" a 50 LB flywheel from the garage floor to the engine crank gave me and my buddy pause as it was.

Pain, recovery, operations, time off work recovering. That can cost one more than the tractor is worth. Regret is being in this pain because one didn't get the proper tool(s): cost be dammed. I doubt I have enough insurance to cover my buddy if he got seriously injured in my garage. :blackeye:

IMO the better way to look at it is "This is the tool I need to do the job properly the first time." It's second use or resale is NOT a concern if the tool is really needed. That's a bonus that doesn't necessarily affect the tax write off of buying a tool.

Just saying. Not every job needs the special tool, but, considering safety first, your time wasted without the tool, and dead last is "frugal".

@Twisted Steel Performance I wouldn't turn the flywheel because those pesky hot spots can come back, aren't removed by the turning "tool" that literally bounces off the hard hot spots, and if everything else checks out: the old hot spots from the first clutch failure is likely why you are redoing the clutch job. Worse you will be looking at the hot spots and wondering if they are from this clutch failure or caused this clutch to slip and fail.

I say this while watching the word quality be removed from replacement rotors and flywheels. Something you have also schooled us on.

A little backwoods shop over here even knows to turn down the lip on the flywheels. he had done a couple of them for the DOT when I was employed there.
I was to the thinking that a lathe type of a turning tool would mostly bounce over the discolored hot spots but, a grinder type of tool would mostly remove the black and blue bruises. LOL

Well, the stand I bought worked very well, smooth and easy to roll apart, so far so good, I will attempt to put it back together today.

All the new parts I purchased were wrong except the clutch disc, go figure.... I did get lucky with the disc, I went for a 6 pad ceramic button disc, they lock harder than the full disc's do so they say...

I found the trouble with the pressure plate that was in it, these MUST be adjusted anytime they are removed or replaced, the fingers are adjustable and a measuring tool is needed, I also bought one of them..

When I got the tractor split apart I had a look at the pressure plate and it was sitting lopsided, the fingers were no where close to even or where they should be.. back when I had it replaced I'm guessing the fella didn't know how or what to do, thus the clutch never locked up hard, the finger adjustment has everything to do with the clamping force on the disc..

Now if I can get it all back together without breaking something or bending the disc LOL.. that's the tough part of the job...

Here are a few pics...

010.JPG
009.JPG
008.JPG
007.JPG
006.JPG
002.JPG

I have heard of adjustable ones, but don’t remember ever having done one on anything.
Please show how thats done once you get tool and such, be interested to see how that works.

way cool set up to split the tractor and use the angle iron rig like mini tracks. Are those knobs in the jack stand part for locking the axles to not roll or are the tilt adjustment?

For future,, I been using yesteryears tractors for parts. Haven't got a clutch from them that was not perfect.

Back