• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time setting OBD-II with MT2500

Turbine Doc

Just Another Diesel Guy
Reaction score
From an old word document I had I put together years ago; I thought it might be useful here also; read through it and if you still have questions PM me and I'll see if I can clear it up.

Timing is best set with a GM tech 2, that said it can be done on OBD-IIs with a Snap On MT2500. You also should try to get a set of IP wrenches Snap On or OTC make a set just for the 6.5 also a turning tool, they can be made as well. One caution to not try to turn the IP with the fuel shutoff solenoid, it is tempting because it makes a convenient grab handle.

DON'T DO IT :) there is a lot of spring pressure from the IP lines that wabt to put the IP back to the relaxed state so you will want.need the IP turbing tool to keep tension on IP while torquing down the IP nuts so you can check your adjustment.

What I don't know is if this works for all OBD2 PCMs or just the ones with theft deterrent. It is for this reason I've not posted what worked for me in detail. (I have since writing this done it on multiple OBD-II years with success)

There are 2 different routines 1st is setting what I will call base timing, this one requires a 2 directional scan tool, start engine bring to normal Op temp 170F or > coolant temp I have since learned that 175-180 is best because if engine cools down before completing the IP move and lock down of IP it may inhibit the ko/ko learn command activation, use time set command of the MT2500 scanner to command timing desired to 0 deg, actual timing by GM manual should read 3.5 deg on avg. I like to set this at 3.6-3.7 avg, which will get you pretty close to the desired TDCO offset for performance -1.5 to -1.95

MARK IP BEFORE MAKING ANY ADJUSTMENT SO YOU CAN GO BACK TO WHERE YOU STARTED IF NEED BE. Also (1) mm rotation roughly a scribe line width = 2 deg. timing change, make small moves.

If above 3.5 avg., shut down engine, loosen mounting nuts and rotate pump toward pass side, if below 3.5 rotate toward drivers. These are hard to get at I moved the AC compressor off of it's mount hoses still connected to get better access, also I don't think you can access them without making a custom wrench or buying the Snap-On set which I did. IP turning wrench is also an asset. Continue this until 3.5 avg. is satisfied. Because getting to IP hold down nuts for the later trucks with dual coolant T-stat is such a PITA I loosen the bottom 2 nuts to snug, then use the top nut to lock the IP between moves and do a final torque of bottoms when adjusting the IP is complete

The next procedure is the TDC offset which can be done independent of time set, and can be done with just a reader that displays TDC offset reading. Nothing in the manual directs that both be done at same time, but I do the time set before doing TDC offset just to see if I was in the correct ball park.

Snap On MT2500 TDC display is incorrect vs. a Tech 2 tool a T2 -.25 to-.75 setting is -4.8 on a MT2500, a T2 -1.76 to -1.94 setting is displayed as -5.4 MT2500 only carries to 1 decimal place.

Same as above bring engine to coolant temp 170 or above, see that all codes are clear (clear codes before proceeding).

Shut off engine, then turn key to run not start and accelerator to floor minimum 45 sec,(this activates TDC learn), then key off 30 sec.

Restart truck if coolant is above 170 and rpm below 1500 PCM automatically relearns offset, may stumble on start 1st run until new offset is accepted.

If you want TDC to go more negative(-), shutdown truck as before and rotate pump toward driver side, if you want a more (+) offset go toward pass side, same (1) mm =2 deg be frugal with adjustment.

Bolt all down do key on key off routine pedal to floor as before, and restart to do learn, and repeat until at desired TDC offset.

As you can see, some trial and error this way so the T2 is the way to go; with a tech 2 it is pretty much command and set if the IP is in window for the TDCO learn, if not you have to move the IP.

Little moves and attention toi what you are doing, don't get too agressive and should have no problems,

All else fails, go back to original mark, and relearn that setting.

Back