• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time for tires?

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
Well I thought I'd be able to get through the year with the Cooper's (Cooper Discoverer HTP LT245/75R16) I have now. But after closer inspection this weekend while doing some maintenance, I'm not so sure. I've never dealt with aged or cracking tires. It's always been due to mileage and tread wear. These are only 4 years old MFG date 01/2015, but some spots scare me. What do you think? ok to make it to Fall, or should I bite the bullet? I know they don't look terrible, but I don't like taking my chances. What are your thoughts?563675636856369

Last edited by a moderator:
Groing up in the dry desert, I am used to seeing tires die from cracking long before tread wear.
If that is the worst of the cracking, I would run those another year.

Just take a look every few weeks to make sure it doesn’t get way bad. Keep speeds under 100mph haha

I buy used tires that look like to run on my truck just cuz I know the streets in my city are going to tear them up anyhow... Leave them on...they will make it

Compounds used in tire production vary and cracking starts first with UV radiation attacking them causing degradation of compounds followed by road rotational impact damage that slowly tugs tears compound and delaminates the tire threads from the belts yes HEAT too causes damage more when tire is under inflated or over loaded.

Better compound tires get expensive but hold up to UV radiation and better to rotational impact damage.

I change out tires that show the 1st sign of cracking no matter small.

Well, since he posted this almost 3 years ago... lets find out what happened.

@BigDogYJ how long did you run them, and guessing they have been replaced by now. If so, by what? Did we mislead you and cause a crash that blew up a nuke power plant?

Haha. I ended up running those tires for a few months, but came across a sale on the Continental TerrainContact A/T (285/70R17) that I couldnt pass up. Also switched to the H2 wheels. So I pulled the cooper's off and kept them for the M101A3 trailer I use for firewood/slash/junk hauls. they are perfect for that. I still have them actually and they are holding up just fine, but dont get used regularly as the trailer is used a few times a year.

The continentals were super quiet and rode nice. However, I recently changed them out again after we picked up our new travel trailer. When the trailer was loaded up, the tires felt a bit taxed. I was within the load ratings of the tires and they were Load Range E, blah blah, but they felt a bit squishy. I upgraded to the Michelin Defender LTX in a slightly smaller size (265/70R17). Much better feeling with the trailer and still super smooth and quiet. unloaded I can consistently get 20-21mpg with these michelins.

Back