• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tightening the short bolts of main bearing caps.

valyidol

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
Two days ago I was given a 6.5 diesel with a broken crankshaft for repair. 97 Chevy Suburban. The first time I saw thin bolts on the crankshaft bearing caps. Thin short bolts are on the second, third and fourth main bearing caps. Tell me please, how do I need to tighten them?

Small diameter will strip the threads out if more.

Inspect the main webs for cracks while your there.

The main webs crack because of poor metallurgy used and the larger diameter bolts leave too little metal around it causing cracks to occur sooner. Later with the Optimizer this was corrected.

%D0%A4%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%BB%2008.07.16%2C%2021%2011%2056.jpeg
I made a crankshaft girdle and studs for that and for heads. Somebody tell me pls what tightening studs 12mm and 10mm. What tightening heads studs?

The arp head studs are 130 ftlbs. Using 30wt oil to lube threads. 90ftlbs if useing a moly lube.

On your mains you need to read the clearance of bearings usings plastigauge or something similar. Then retorque to the same amount. Your current torque is WAY TOO MUCH. Youll pull out threads once the load of the engine running is there.

Your main studs torque will be different than regular because of the space you added with your girdle you made -which i dont see helping - ive tried several types of main gidles. You need to do the equations on torque based on what your geometry of the girdle you designed. Using too low of torque will let them come loose or chatter the bearings. Too much will pull out the threads... Just adding a girdle because it looks cool can cost you an engine. Its like drilling holes in the connecting rods to make them light wieght. If your lucky it might help 3%, if not lucky your engine will bcome a grenade. Good luck.

On this diesel all holes of short main bolts are 12mm. Next diesel waiting assembly has 10 and 12mm holes. I made two pair girdles and two sets of studs.

IIRC the guys doing those hand file fitted the girdles to get the tolerances really close. Are you align honing the block?

Back