• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

This thing needs some love

Mine was a '78 coupe, solid white, into which I was installing a F**D 9" with Lincoln disc brakes and Detroit Locker (even built a large reusable jig for attaching\aligning the malibu coil-spring axle brackets to any axle housing), with a built GN TH200 behind an EFI '87 Buick Grand National GNT charge-air cooled 3800 V6 - had the Hotchkiss control arms adapting the B-body front knuckles and 12" discs from the larger Buick Electra-type chassis with the larger steering box from the same series, using the Malibu\El Camino Sport instrument cluster with complete instrumentation incl tach, Camaro high-back buckets, El Camino console, etc

Alas, #1 son got his license and needed a vehicle for work, so I wound up installing a very low-mileage 4.1L Buick V6 and BOP TH350 in it for his use, thinking I would reclaim it after he became able to afford a Civic with a fart-tube - but, he quickly removed the rear shocks and pulled the rear springs outta the chassis, letting it bump around on the axle like those ones with the wobbly-headed chihuahua in the rear window with eyes that lite up with the brake lites, and the furry dice hanging from the rear-view mirror, and the furry dash and furry visors and fuzzy door sills and furry package tray and.........well, you get my drift, eh - the constant beating loosened everything in the previously tight body, also wound up severely cracking the frame above the axle on both sides - not much use then for my project, so his mom sold it for 50bucks - even at that, the m*****n argued with her for hours, trying to get the price down below $0.01 - and he didn't even want the rear springs...............

Last edited:
Malibu's? When I was a kid, my grandmother (mothers side) bought a brand new 64 white Malibu SS, 6 cylinder, three on the tree, black interior, buckets. Always garaged, not driven in winter much, she drove it for about ten years. One day when I was about 13 or so she arrived in this 73 Astre station wagon (Pontiacs version of the Vega) and proudly announced to the family that she narrowly avoided disaster when the master cylinder went in the Malibu and she deftly drove safely off the road. "And that's it!! I never want to see that old junk heap again! They've towed it off to the dump!!"
My father stood there with this stunned look, a 6'4" 245 lb former football star, with a trembling lip and moist eyes, and without saying a word, went for a two hour walk. He was pissed!!
Somehow I doubt that SS ever made it to a dump. And a couple years later I "parked" that POS wagon in a ditch! It was my first (un)official drive.

Back