• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

This is where I'll be reviewing the transmission kit I bought (pics)

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
I purchased a kit from PATC. It is supposed to hold 1000 horsepower.
The part number is #1000 SRK-L4
First off I would like some opinions on the condition/useability of this kit. I checked it out tonight. One of the c5 clutches seems to have some chips out of the edges. I don't have a very fine micrometer, but the thickness of this disk is almost 2/28ths of an inch on it. At the biggest chip, it's about 1.5/28ths. It's shown here at the point of my knife.
c5_1.jpg

Here are several pics of the c2 clutches. In the first one you can see a chip at the end of the micrometer. It's folded up, it hasn't come off completely. The other pics show how the fiber is off center on the metal. At one edge you can see metal both from above the disk and from the pics of the edge. On the opposite side, you can not see the metal and it hangs slightly over the edge.
c2_1.jpg

c2_2.jpg

c2_3.jpg

c2_4.jpg

c2_5.jpg

The c4 clutch seems to be partially glazed from moving around during shipping.
c4_1.jpg

The torque converter has many scratches and dings in it from shipping. The bolts were underneath it and the plastic bag was torn from the tc rubbing on it. There is a big ding in the front of it that was there before it was painted. You may not be able to see it. The box had some sort of cardboard piece for the tc to sit on, but it was really a joke as it was crushed completly. It smelled like the paint was still wet, and I think it was when it was packaged. You can see the marks from the foam wrapping touching it when it was wet.
tc_1.jpg

tc_2.jpg

tc_3.jpg

tc_box.jpg

My suggestions to them for shipping would be:
Torque converter- Tape the bag of bolts to the tc so they don't end up underneath it.
Use the expandable foam packaging below and above it instead of the foam wrapper and egg carton style cardboard under it.
Clutch discs- Put a piece of heavy paper between the discs so there is less chance of damage.

Use expandable foam, or tightly package peanuts, in main package to prevent the shifting around.
Use much heavier duty boxes to ship instead of recycling used boxes with labels scratched out with sharpie.
Label the boxes with part numbers. Anything that wasn't pre-packaged does not have part numbers. I have no way of knowing if I got the right tc. It is marked 114321 in paint marker, but that doesn't match anything on their site.

Now my questions for you guys.
Do these clutches look useable?
This tc is black, on their site it shows the one I was supposed to get (triple disc billet) as un-painted and the single disc as black. What do you think the chances are that they cheated me?

I just went to their site again to see if there was any visible difference between the two tc's. It appears that the back is different on the two, and it looks as though I got the right one, if you can judge it by that.

single disc
HPIM0748-5.jpg

triple disc
alliso16.jpg

I don't know sqaut about the Alli trans. but if a vendor shipped me something packaged no better than that with damage, even if superficial (clutch damage IMO isn't superficial) I'd be very concerned with overall quality, looks like a China copy maybe to me, I'd learn all I could about it before it went in, if at all. Not all China stuff (if this is what it is), is bad; but lot to lot quality isn't their fort'e, importing vendor has to hold them to fire that quality consistency remains on each part, they will sneak in bad stuff, especially stuff that gets drop shipped to you.

Jay to be completely honest with you I personally don't like the condition of the parts you received. The C5 clutch is no big deal with the exception that if debris gets loose and lodges somewhere your up shits creek with out a paddle.

This holds true to the rest of the clutches the BIGGEST concern is debris coming lose. Will any of the imperfections you've shown actually cause holding capacity issues,I doubt it. The biggest concerns are the poor handling and packaging by the shipper which caused the damage and ultimately can cause you hardship.

The TC is a whole nother issue. As far as IF you received a 3 disk converter that depends on which manufacture supplied the converter. Some paint them some don't. The overall condition ,scratches,are nothing but the dent is bullshit!

Before I did anything I would contact your supplier . I hope they are willing to do something . Before I would tear into my Allison I would want 100% assurance that I'm putting in the best parts I could . If something was to happen you're always going to be second guessing your decision to use these parts.

I know today that if you can save a buck or two here or there it's very important but to spend a few extra for peace of mind will over ride the small monetary gains.
I will suggest,
I would like to see you send all of them parts back and get a refund and buy from a reputable vendor like MikeL or direct from Suncoast.

If something like that (shipping) had happened with one of these guys I've mentioned with out hesitation they would expedite new pieces to you so that you can begin your up grade. The clutches you have appear to Be Alto clutches which the company you bought them from is just a distributor.

I have dealt direct with Suncoast and it would have only taken ONE phone call and items would be replaced no questions asked.

Once again good luck but I would NOT be happy with those parts if they were mine.

Sorry.

I'm not trying to push you to MikeL but he brings up a VERY valid point. Tech support. He's VERY helpful . Individuals like him aren't out to just make a buck unlike the supplier you chose. I do hope that they will make good on this. But IMO they will just tell you to call the shipper and put in a claim. This will tie up your money and delay your project unfortunately.

I would rather wait another week then put damaged parts in my transmission. :frown5:

send the stuff back. i would not use it at all. you dont even need to use the c-5. they are only used in low and reverse. if you dont mind me asking how much was the kit?

definately send it back. you could have had the s/c kit for that money. plus it comes with the trans go, and proven parts.

doesn't say anything about billet shafts...just carbon fibre clutches

" Level 4 Allison 1000 Super Rebuild Kit "
#1000SRK-L4. You get the #A1000-2 Triple Clutch Billet Torque Converter with no core charge, the #1000 or #1000-3 Transgo Shift Kit with all of its upgrades, the deep cast aluminum pan that holds 3 1/4 extra quarts of fluid, both filters, C1 clutch carbon fiber Power Pack plus the C2, C3, C4 and C5 Red Eagle Power Packs, and an overhaul gasket / seal kit. Will hold over 1000 HP at the crank. (COMES WITH ALL MOLDED PISTONS) The freight is included in the price (UPS GROUND IN THE 48 STATES). Cost $2842.00 2001-2004

Jay to be completely honest with you I personally don't like the condition of the parts you received. The C5 clutch is no big deal with the exception that if debris gets loose and lodges somewhere your up shits creek with out a paddle.

This holds true to the rest of the clutches the BIGGEST concern is debris coming lose. Will any of the imperfections you've shown actually cause holding capacity issues,I doubt it. The biggest concerns are the poor handling and packaging by the shipper which caused the damage and ultimately can cause you hardship.

The TC is a whole nother issue. As far as IF you received a 3 disk converter that depends on which manufacture supplied the converter. Some paint them some don't. The overall condition ,scratches,are nothing but the dent is bullshit!

Before I did anything I would contact your supplier . I hope they are willing to do something . Before I would tear into my Allison I would want 100% assurance that I'm putting in the best parts I could . If something was to happen you're always going to be second guessing your decision to use these parts.

I know today that if you can save a buck or two here or there it's very important but to spend a few extra for peace of mind will over ride the small monetary gains.
I will suggest,
I would like to see you send all of them parts back and get a refund and buy from a reputable vendor like MikeL or direct from Suncoast.

If something like that (shipping) had happened with one of these guys I've mentioned with out hesitation they would expedite new pieces to you so that you can begin your up grade. The clutches you have appear to Be Alto clutches which the company you bought them from is just a distributor.

I have dealt direct with Suncoast and it would have only taken ONE phone call and items would be replaced no questions asked.

Once again good luck but I would NOT be happy with those parts if they were mine.

Sorry.

I'm not trying to push you to MikeL but he brings up a VERY valid point. Tech support. He's VERY helpful . Individuals like him aren't out to just make a buck unlike the supplier you chose. I do hope that they will make good on this. But IMO they will just tell you to call the shipper and put in a claim. This will tie up your money and delay your project unfortunately.

I would rather wait another week then put damaged parts in my transmission. :frown5:
This sucks. I didn't like the condition of them either. I was shocked when I opened the kit up and started inspecting everything.
You hit the nail on the head as far as saving money. As embarrassing as it is to admit, I ended up borrowing money to get this. I couldn't sell stuff fast enough! I got a quote from Mike on the sc IV and it was a little more plus shipping and I assume a core charge, and this one comes with the deep pan and according to them is supposed to handle up to 1000HP.
:mad2:

The 1000 HP claim is ridiculous. You should not be sold on sale tactics. The deep pan isn't something you need and could have been added anytime later if you desired.

The core charge is ONLY for the TC and you'll get that back when you return the stock TC. You'll never return to the stock one anyway so there is no need to keep it.

I would IF I were you hold off send back the kit you received and buy a Suncoast level III with a good Suncoast Triple converter.

How far are you planning on going performance wise? If your just going to run a 500 HP ish RWHP tune a Suncoast level III is MORE than enough!

Do yourself a favor and call Mike and discuss what your goals are and build it from there. YOU will be a very happy guy when your done. Trust ME!

Have patients

call mike l. tip number 2 be honest with yourself, be realistic. if you know your truck will never be over 500hp than say it. it will save you tremendous money. and you will have enough trans to deal with all you throw at it.

I have been without power or internet since about 4:15 AM on 12/12. I signed on from my cell, but it wouldn't post after spending 45 minutes to try and make a 2 sentence post.
I called these guys on 12/12 and let them know that there were some damaged pieces. They told me to send them back and they would replace them. I asked them to just send out the pieces right away so that I would have them for the following weekend, because me truck is really bad right now and I can only work on it on the weekends. They told me they can't send them to me until they receive the old ones. I told them "In that case I'll send back the whole kit for a refund. Do I need an RMA number or anything." I didn't get a chance to pack it back up because I've been busy trying to keep the house warm and some other peoples too. I've been running around all weekend long.

call mike l. tip number 2 be honest with yourself, be realistic. if you know your truck will never be over 500hp than say it. it will save you tremendous money. and you will have enough trans to deal with all you throw at it.
You mean like when I honestly told myself that I'll just use EFI for a tow tune and better mileage?):h
With the big things, I try to be more realistic. When I did my head gaskets, I did ARP head studs just in case I decide to go a little overboard.

Got an exhaust- just for better mileage, lower egt's and a good tone.
Got a K&N- I needed a filter anyway, this was just for mileage.
Got ARP head studs- Hey I was in the motor anyway.
Got EFI- I could use better mileage and just a little tune.
Getting tranny kit- Whoops, I guess I went a little overboard with EFI.

Do you see a pattern developing? I think it's an addiction. And do you know what's going to happen when my turbo finally takes a dump?

I had dyno time scheduled for next weekend when I thought that I would have a built tranny. I was going to try and squeeze every last drop out of it!):h

Jay, sounds like many of us and your not into doing things twice. I will agree with the others you making the correct decision to return what you have now. Its a hard decision to be honest with yourself about power. I don't think you can ever say when you will stop. I am personally one that tends to over due things. I live by saying "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." Thats my .02. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jay,

I would not hesitate at all. Send it all back right away and get your refund. Then call Mike L or SunCoast directly and get a PROVEN kit from people who live and breathe with the high performance Allison transmission. The tech support will be second to none and your truck will thank you for it.

It is not worth it to always wonder IF or WHEN is the new kit going to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Good Luck!

Keep us posted on how you come out.

My first instinct was to go with Mike. I contacted him way back in sept. I should have followed that instinct, but I was trying to stretch a buck.
I'll def keep you guys posted, but the new kit will be from Mike so I'm sure it will be business as usual. The reporting will most likely only involve pics, commentary of something stupid I did during dissassembly/reassembly, and commentary on the feel of the new tranny. And of course when I get it dyno'd, some numbers.

I just sent it back to them. Is there any way I can make sure they don't try and deduct the shipping charges from my refund? It said free shipping, so if they deduct anything, it should be $0.00

I would print out the section of their web page where they say that shipping is free and keep a copy of ALL correspondence to and from them just in case they want to pull any funny stuff.

You should also contact your credit card company if they try to screw you.

Back