• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

this is bad.

pdocontario

Reaction score
i ordered glow plugs to replace in my truck. taking a look at them the other day, and noticing that the head with the spade connection is gone with no wire running to the area where the glow plug should be.
hugu7esa.jpg

its the cylinder closest to the fire wall drivers side.

That second pic is just the injector. Cant see the GP from there but judging by the crusty injectors I would change those too.

Use a bunch of ATF and acetone in a squirt bottle and spray is all over the GP area to get rust loosened up, should take a 10 MM socket. If the 10MM doesnt fit the nut then hammer a 9mm or equivalent STD size onto the nut. Past that you are in a pickle lol.

Some of our vendors on here have parts to help. Lerorydiesel has a glow plug extraction tool and another vender has new harnesses for the glow plugs.

Check the plugs before going through the pain of changing them. Missing wires may be your only issue. Aside of the rust... :rolleyes5:

On the socket, the ACDelco GP uses 3/8" and Bosch uses 10mm.

Get some Bosch Duraterm replacement, not sure if somebody mention that.
Second choise is ACDelco 60G.

Avoid anything that said "Fast", "Quick", etc. or brand like Autolite, WAP.

You may want to take off the inner fender to evaluate the last GP on the driver side.

Holy Crap Batman! Get a tetanus shot before attempting repair! :hihi:

GlowPlug.jpg

I think this was your glow plug, perhaps someone else can zoom in and confirm. It looks like getting that thing out will not be easy. As others have said soak this thing in some type of solution to help break up the rust, take your time with this. I have heard of people taking a week or more of shooting it several times per day with penetrating oil. Then get a good deep well six point socket. If you have an issue getting the glow plug out of the hole then you might need a glow plug extractor.

Good luck!

Brian

The glow plug harness upgrade is worth every penny IMO, if you go that route(replacement wires. His battery cables are worth the dough as well. Pay close attention to GP wiring around heat shields near starter with pics so proper reinstallation can be done with out meltdown. My oem ones were melted there when I got the truck. The truck will start at any cold temp with both upgrades. It does not like it but will start and let me know the block heater is its friend. Thank G** I never needed Leroys GP remover, but everything he sells is worth the money as well and usually a good price. I don't work for these vendors but bought just about everything they sell and have not one complaint. I have several project cars of different makes and cannot say that about any other vendor

thanks a lot guys. huge help.

bshull, that's exactly what i thought. i think that was my glow plug lol but it's some how broke i don't know if the heads on it or not can't tell. a week before i try to get it out i'll be laying the rust penetrant to it.

If it is just the one i would leave it sit,if it is broke off, only way to try to get it out is to remove the head.
and by the looks of that rust bucket there' s more stuff that is going to break before you have that head off.
The engine will fire up fine on 6 or 7 glow plugs.

my 2c

If it is just the one i would leave it sit,if it is broke off, only way to try to get it out is to remove the head.
and by the looks of that rust bucket there' s more stuff that is going to break before you have that head off.
The engine will fire up fine on 6 or 7 glow plugs.

my 2c

I have to agree. People here in the desert don't understand what that much rust means in repairs, and will pay full pop for a rusted truck from elsewhere. then it goes in the shop for a $200 repair, and gets picked $1800 later with very unhappy owners. Can o worms right there, leave that one unless your not afraid to rip it all apart.

I'd be inclined to agree that one should be left alone unless you're pulling the head.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I'd leave that one alone as well. I'd also be spraying the other GPs and Injectors with teh ATF and acetone mix mentioned earlier before going after them.

I'd leave that one alone as well. I'd also be spraying the other GPs and Injectors with teh ATF and acetone mix mentioned earlier before going after them.

I think I'd make that a once a week ritual so you stand half a chance getting them out when the time comes

I would let it ride as well. We forgot to install Gertys #5 glow plug before we installed the DP... it starts great on 7 good glows.

Is this a marine engine? Looks like it's been living in the salt. Are you going to be parting it out?

Check the plugs before going through the pain of changing them.

Have you 'tested' the other glow plugs to see if they are any good? This may be a project you cancel and send the new plugs back. I mean how does it start now? If you break more good rusty plugs are you prepared to pull the heads, replace the exhaust, etc?

Is this a marine engine? Looks like it's been living in the salt. Are you going to be parting it out?
LOL my moms from Ontario you obviously haven't been there and driven the roads in the winter. Last time I was there the side of our rig were white from the dried on salt, in a very short period of time.

Back