• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

thinking outside the box! ata intercooler

gmccrewcabdually

Reaction score
So I like to think outside the box!! I know lots of people don’t like the ATA intercooler on the 6.5 but I like them any help cooling any part of the 6.5 seams to be a good thing! And I just really hate the idea of no cooling of any sort between the turbo and the motor!!

I will also be adding WMI for the heavy hauls up over the passes and what not !

So I decided where I wanted it (not the normal spots! And went for it!!! Seams to be the way I do stuff! Just go for it that is!!

Hear are some pics! What do you all think??

Peteata1.jpgata2.jpgata3.jpgata5.jpgata4.jpg

Nice job. Unfortunately for those of us who like our AC would not work although I have been toying with the idea of moving the rad closer to the motor and sneaking it in between the rad and ac condenser.

That air cleaner setup is not helping you any. Sucking all the hot air from the engine compt. defeats the purpose of the ATA IC.

ya that was kinda my plan!! but for now i can live with no ac! going to be doing a lot of towing a 7 place hours trailer betwen Wa, Ut and Ca!!

hear is some more pics!!

opps hold on

and ya ya ya the air cleener thing hot air bla bla bla lol if you notic the pastic is still on it!!!! read the sig! its just thewre to keep the chop saw dust out of the turbo!!!! fabing up a true cold air asap!! have a box of 3" manderal alum tube sitting waiting to be choped up!!

Attachments

• ata12.jpg
    ata12.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 6
  • ata15.jpg
    ata15.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 5
  • ata11.jpg
    ata11.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 6
  • ata14.jpg
    ata14.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
  • ata16.jpg
    ata16.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 5
well hoping the dual fan set up with hoped up motors that flex o lit made me will help but i figure that the ac, oil and trans coolers where just as restrictive!! and was thinking i would mount the coolers where everyone els tends to mount the ata!!

but we will see how that works have auto meter oil, trans and water temp gaes! so that should help tell me if it works! if it dos not then we try a nother setup!

Pete

and was thinking i would mount the coolers where everyone els tends to mount the ata!!

but we will see how that works have auto meter oil, trans and water temp gaes! so that should help tell me if it works! if it dos not then we try a nother setup!

Pete

Not to rain on anybody's innovations, but if you didn't want to put the ATA down there because it might get hit, then putting the oil and trans coolers down there is sort of ... uh ... worse?

Your truck will get you home with a hole in your ATA.

Thanks for posting the pics, though... interesting idea!

no the idea is more of a looks thing!! I own a shop that dos a lot of turbo Hondas Subaru bmw's and the lot and a lot of custom off road Toyotas buggies and what not so was kind of more of an appearance thing than a hit it on shit thing! I also plan to build a small protective cage of some sort for the coolers!

Pete

My intercooler has taken some serious abuse. I thought I was f***ed last winter when I smached into a snow bank but it held together. I pondered moving the intercooler to the top but it would just make the fans work harder and heat up faster. And since mine is down below I mounted a fan right to it so it stayes nice and cold :) you did a nice job on the install though.

I know first hand that an ATA intercooler can and will fit in the stack if you move the radiator back towards the engine. My DMNAX sits furthur ahead than the 6.5 did, and I still got it all squeezed in there. One thing that helped me ALOT was that I went with one of the new design condensers for teh A/C. It is about half the thickness of the old one and at least 50% lighter(if not more), plus mounting it was a breeze. It uses 4 aluminum brackets folded over to sit in the origanal mounts. I simply straightened em out and mounted it in there with some self tapping screws to the support. I still have my trans cooler mounted out front with stock brackets, and a 10" electric fan(was ahving high head pressures when it was 90 or hotter outside) where the engines oil cooler would have been on a 6.5. I only have about an inch of clearance between the fan clutch and radiator, but so far I haven't had any clearance issues with it.

Back