• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Think its time to switch fuel stations

I have a couple of places that I fuel up that are close to work, both places are chuck full of big rigs fueling up constantly. Very large discrepancy for me in price, I work in Indiana & purchase my fuel there, today I stopped & topped my tank off, price per gallon $2.54. Two stations local where I live in ILL also sell fuel, rode by one of them on my way home, $2.89 per gallon. The difference is unbelievable. I roll on about 420 miles avg per week, so for me saving 20 cents or so a gallon adds up in a hurry.

I don't always run conditioner unless it's below zero and at least once 4th or 6th tank I try to dump some 30 wt non detergent oil in to lube the IP.

Filling the tank is something that takes time & I don't always have the time to fill it to the neck. So I maintain a log, my running avg is 19.2 currently and it was as high as 20.2 when I bought the truck last Oct.

Just recently changed out my T Stat for an AC delco 190, that upped my operating temp by about 10 degress, hoping to see my avg start creeping up...we'll see.

Glad you found the missing fuel!

Ya thanks.

I run fuel conditioner in every tank for lubrication.

You should put a quart of ND SAE30 in every full fillup, or half with half a tank, etc..... a little too much isnt going to hurt anything either. So anywhere to 2 quarts for a tank would be fine. I typically use TCW3 2-cycle oil. Not all conditioners are good either, most of the stuff on the shelves are useless for lubricity.

You should put a quart of ND SAE30 in every full fillup, or half with half a tank, etc..... a little too much isnt going to hurt anything either. So anywhere to 2 quarts for a tank would be fine. I typically use TCW3 2-cycle oil. Not all conditioners are good either, most of the stuff on the shelves are useless for lubricity.

Whats wrong with running a bit of ATF. Thats what I use in the summer. Dosent Howes fuel conditioner lubricate OK.

Nothing wrong with ATF, Ive used it several times too, however I wouldnt use the newer ones with lots of detergents in it.

regular TCW3 2-cycle in 200:1 ratio is good for a 160 micron boost in lubricity to bring regular ULSD to about 475 micron rating.

Howes Meaner Power Kleaner in 1000:1 ratio provides about 50 micron lubricity imporovemnt for a total of about 586 micron rating. I dont think using more helps, it might but gets more expensive and saturated at some point.

The micron ratings is a wear scar size after so many abrasive iterations on a bearing. Industry standard for lubricating pumps is 520 micron, but engine associations requested a standard of 460 to protect pumps, like it was before LSD. ULSD alone is like 630 micron rated. Lower scar size the better obviously.

HERE are some testing results

regular motor oil wasnt tested, but used motor oil was and it didnt help at all.

Nothing wrong with ATF, Ive used it several times too, however I wouldnt use the newer ones with lots of detergents in it.

regular TCW3 2-cycle in 200:1 ratio is good for a 160 micron boost in lubricity to bring regular ULSD to about 475 micron rating.

Howes Meaner Power Kleaner in 1000:1 ratio provides about 50 micron lubricity imporovemnt for a total of about 586 micron rating. I dont think using more helps, it might but gets more expensive and saturated at some point.

The micron ratings is a wear scar size after so many abrasive iterations on a bearing. Industry standard for lubricating pumps is 520 micron, but engine associations requested a standard of 460 to protect pumps, like it was before LSD. ULSD alone is like 630 micron rated. Lower scar size the better obviously.

HERE are some testing results

regular motor oil wasnt tested, but used motor oil was and it didnt help at all.

I was just reading this somewere on the internet.

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/hfrr/hfrr.htm

Check that out. It is basicly all the info sorted into a graph. I guess Biodiesel is the best to use.

You'll probably be well served to change out the fuel filter soon. Bad fuel will have shortened the life of the current one. glad you're back up and running efficiently again and it was just the fuel.

Biodiesel is a great lubricant, I'd use B5 if it were available. However its also a strong detergent of sorts, will clean your system good which is not always good for operating through the Optical Sensor (OS). Cloudiness will put you in limp mode. Although clean system sounds like a great thing.

You'll probably be well served to change out the fuel filter soon. Bad fuel will have shortened the life of the current one. glad you're back up and running efficiently again and it was just the fuel.

I will try and pick up a new fuel filter tomorrow. I still dont know how the hell my millage dropped 10MPG from that chit. People fill up there all the time and so do all the school busses in my area. Makes me wonder what they think. Maybe it is just my truck that didnt like the fuel.

Buddy: If I had acces to some biodiesel around here I would diffanetly use it. I would use it as lubrication and run some antigel for saftey.

I drive a school bus, and we get between 6 and 8 MPG!!! :eek: I put about 35 gallons every two days. The bus has a 66 gallon tank. We use a Speedway Station that has most of the big rig's in our area pumping from there. good fresh fuel. Plus the school has a rewards card, and about every 3 weeks, the boss gets $100 free fuel!!! ):h
My 94 has a HUGE filler neck, So I can use the big boy pumps, and fill my 34 gal tank in less than 2 min's. :thumbsup:

I drive a school bus, and we get between 6 and 8 MPG!!!

thats all you get ....... I have a friend with a 65 pac international (camper conversion) with a small cat and 6spd ...... he gets 12 knocking around town, 15 on the hwy towing his loaded 2 car trailer

My 94 has a HUGE filler neck, So I can use the big boy pumps, and fill my 34 gal tank in less than 2 min's. :thumbsup:

me too, but mine is a 26g tank ..... but it pumps too fast to keep the foam down so I slow pump it anyways ......

Maybe he gets 12mpg too, but doesnt realize the tank wasnt really full when it kicked off :)

And I wonder if the bus' speedo and odometer are correct. Does that school bus have a 6.5?

The district runs a spread sheet, with our mileage and gallons billed. But I do top it off right up the filler neck.

LOL,, 6.5 school bus,,, the kids would be late everyday! Maybe I could get a chip for the bus?!!??? It's a 04 International, with auto trans. the mech's told me to just floor it and let the computer sort it out. Our 04's are the quickest bus's in our fleet. we have a few 07's and 1 09, and a bunch of older ones too. Shoot, I'll be lucky if we even have busing in the future. 1 local district has called for next year to have Only Elementary busing and cut both middle and high school busing to help the school budget, Stupid Gov'ner GrandMole!!!

Check lift pump. When mine quit working my mileage went way down. Started the same and ran the same except if floored. I don't understand why the mpg went down but it did.

Back