• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Think its time to switch fuel stations

duramaxdude

Reaction score
DOnt know if its the fuel quallity or something else on my truck but My millage went from 22.4 MPG down to 12.5MPG. I was getting great millage and then one day I fillled up and it slowly dropped. I havent noticed any deacrease in power or anything else wrong. Everything seems normal but the 12.5 is making me mad.

I am going to try a different station see if that helps. I have been using Petro Canada. Has anybody heard anything bad about them.

I'd call a 50% loss of mpg a leak! Really, its pretty much impossible to have a drop like that if all 8 cylinders are firing and no leaks and no plume of black smoke. So, any smoke? Have you looked under the truck for leaks, especially when running?

No offense, but I'm skeptical when I see 22.5 mpg on a 3/4 ton 6.5 with marine injectors. Is it a truck with 3.42 gears and skinny tires?

I'd call a 50% loss of mpg a leak! Really, its pretty much impossible to have a drop like that if all 8 cylinders are firing and no leaks and no plume of black smoke. So, any smoke? Have you looked under the truck for leaks, especially when running?

No offense, but I'm skeptical when I see 22.5 mpg on a 3/4 ton 6.5 with marine injectors. Is it a truck with 3.42 gears and skinny tires?

X2. Bad original mileage estimate and the is experiencing issues or leaks.

Less foam kicking off the nozzle messing up your 'total fuel intake' and resulting numbers?

His gallon is bigger than yours...

10 MPG variation can be explained by driving habits, length of time idling (warming up) or amount of fuel added, I can add at least 10 litres of fuel after the hose clicks off, but a gas pump guy will just round it off to the next highest dollar.

So while the gauge reads "full" there can be quite a variation in the actual amount of fuel pumped into the tank.

I calculate every tank, and can go from 24 - 25 MPG in winter on a tank of highway driving, to ~14 for a tank burned in the city, and even less while fishing.

I cant blame you for being skeptical. Nobody believes me except for my dad and the preivious owner and they were amazed with those numbers. They both drove it and put fuel in it. Here is a way to figure. I can go 180 KM/112.5miles on 20L/5gallons. And the funny thing is I am 16 and my foot isnt the lightest. The guy my dad bought it of off claimed he could get way better than that even. I did check the truck over while it was running and made extra sure the fuel filter was tight. THere is Zero black smoke and my power hasnt decreased at all.

THe only thing I do notice is it smokes white for alot longer than it used to. But thats probalbly because its like -30 here now.

I am going to fill up at a different place for the next litle bit and see what will happen.

the only thing that made me think that was the white smoke on start up. the other main cause of white smoke is antifreeze. Smell your exhaust

I asked about the filter because if the gasket gets out of position then it leaks but only when you are driving so you don't see it. I had that happen once when I had my '95.

I thought of the fuel fillter thing at first but I made dam sure it was in properly. I put it in three times already but I cant find a single fuel leak on the truck. I did go out and smell the exaust but it didnt smell ant different. I checked the coolant level and it was good.

After I changed the injectors I noticed a slight increase in fuel millage. I looked at ny fuel records and it stareted after I filled up on Jan 22. drove for a 100 km and noticed half a tank gone. Havent been able to come up with no explanation yet. I filled up at a different place today called RedFern. I will see how it does over the next few days.

Just for the heck of it I will get somebody to POP test a few injectors to see what there like. I know that they dont leak because the truck starts absouloutly perfect. It smokes alot but it starts OK in the -20 mornigs not plugged in. Also I take it to school and it sits in the cold all day and it starts fine.

What brand of injectors did you install?

Well, you are going to think I am an idiot if I tell you. I figured out after I bought them that it wasnt a good idea. I am going to buy better ones in the summer when I have some money.

THey are the socalled Hertzog ones from penscola diesel of ebay.

Back