• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thermostat Replacement

Marauderer

Grumpy Old Cur***geon
Reaction score
I was at my friends place a couple of weekends ago and he had a Tech II so we put it on my truck to see if it had any issues that I wasn't aware of. One of the things that was noticed was the engine was very slow to warm up and was running 10-15*F under where it was suppose to. I had noticed that milage had fallen off a bit and that I wasn't getting full power when it was warmed up. Hence I have one of the thermostats stuck part way open. So when I get home this Friday I have the parts on order to replace same on Saturday as I am headed for the Tampa. FL area the following Thurs in the truck and I want it running properly.:D

I looked at parts and decided to go with the AC-Delco from Amazon with an extra Felpro oring spare. Price $65 delivered to my door. I have read articles around the different forums and the job should be fairly easy with the exception of getting to a couple of bolts to remove interference.

So if there are any idiosyncrasies I should be considering please chime in and let me know.:eek: I will have more next weekend after the install with pics.

Now just three weeks ago I replaced the Rt Ft wheelo hub assembly and it was great. I bought the Lifetime warranty from the DMax store which put it at about $220 delivered. I bought two as they are the same left and right and from what I read the left usually follows the right by about 20K mi. I did notice that Amamzon had them on sale after I got mine for $158 ea delivered if you are a Prime member. These are the good Timken Bearing ones.;)

Pretty simple job to do, and make sure to use ONLY OEM stats. Only tricky part of the job is rememebring the front stat has the bypass poppet on it, and the rear stat is just a regular stat. And I normally put in a new CTS whe nthere is a concern with the engine temp. They don't cost that much, and I have had quite of them be off 10-20 degrees(USE ONLY OEM here as well).

Yes use OEM and be sure its a two stage. They r no longer manufactured looking like the original OEM. Only old stock was available last year when mine stuck. The parts store repeatedly gave me the wrong one. I actually lucked into a old stock one from Leroy. I am not sure if he can still find them.

Yes use OEM and be sure its a two stage. They r no longer manufactured looking like the original OEM. Only old stock was available last year when mine stuck. The parts store repeatedly gave me the wrong one. I actually lucked into a old stock one from Leroy. I am not sure if he can still find them.

He's got a DURAMAX which uses a quite a bit different stat than your 6.2 does.

I will Mike and the part #s. Just sitting in DC and wondering if the snow will really hit Wednesday. Should be cleaned up enough if it does to get out of town Friday morning.

Back