• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thermostat crossover option.

Will L.

Reaction score
So if someone is looking for an option of single stat closing blockoff, but need the rare 96 or hard to fit around throttle, etc.

You need to start with 2 of the rearblock off plates like the black painted one in the pic. Drill and Weld a 1” barb fitting to them so a 1” hose can attach. Don’t use the Factory threaded ones, they only have openings for 1/2” npt.
7535ACB7-DDBE-40F1-B630-66C9DBD4D624.jpeg
Next you need to drop about $140 on this bad boy

It has 1” npt inlet- one each of the two sides, and one on bottom that is return to water pump. Then the hose fitting on top is 1.75” for the upper radiator hose. If ya need a temp sensor in there- add a “T” where you want it. And if those exact sizes don’t work, like you need 1.5” radiator hose on top- don’t worry. These guys make it all to order. If ya need something they don’t stock on the shelf- they will custom make it. You need tomake a bracket to mount it.

You will .D76EC41D-DBBA-44A2-9092-C27B56CA15A2.png10DBFD7A-2D04-4199-841D-3C6DFC6F8473.png694E734B-FD20-4784-9C40-E5EAA839A1E5.png

Here is the link to the company, IPSCO. And a wazoo thanks to @n8in8or for finding this company! Man, Nate- you sure inspire us to spend money and make trucks better!

This is basically the same as the factory single block off thermostat crossover.

For many people this would be not needed because they can easily fir the single stat block off thermostat unit, but if someone needs the rare 96 and cant find it. Or especially van/ hummers with the ridiculous huge and in the way intake they use.

Imagine your thermostat crossover, but cut out the aluminum tubes that go from the housing down to each head and replace them with heater hose. A person would be into this set up $130 plus three of the 1” nipples. They qouted me $10 for two 1.25” aluminum nipples (better to keep aluminum or brass, dont screw steel into aluminum) so imagine that 1” is the same. So $145 and needing to alter two block off plates that are abundantly found or just made from scrap steel.
The rare 96 I just found on ebay has some damage but is repairable. It is $200 before shipping. First one I have seen for sale checking about weekly for 6-7 months.

Finding a perfect condition crossover can still be done and possibly be cheaper. But as time goes on that will get much harder. With this as an option- no panic. And looking how well this is made- awesome!

There was less than 12,000 civilian hummers ever made, many destroyed now. Highest guesses by pro sellers are 6,000 left here, 1,000 of which have duramax or cummins. So 5,000 with 6.2/6.5. Most are still learning their single stat crossover that does not have the block off thermostat is garbage. 25% of all hummers had that crappy crossover. There are a few hundred hmmwvs now sold and licensed for civilian ownership. ALL of them have the crap crossover. The hummer world is SLOWLY learning how to resolve their heating issues. I’m excited because this is a solution to we will never run out of crossovers.

Oh, these guys build TONS of designs. Something that hit me I hadn’t mentioned yet- some folks are convinced the dual thermostat still has one advantage- more coolant flow through because of the two smaller stats may allow more volume than a single.

A person could have them make a dual block off housing using the larger block off single stat if you wanted.
Or instead of two ports on the side, plug one on side or use that port for temp sensor, and use 1 thermostat housing per head. Dont want balanced flow waterpump? One stat for that side of the engine and the thermostat will regulate each side. Passenger gets hotter it will be open more often and you could monitor each side completely separate from the other to know how it is flowing. You just need a one way check valve to not back feed the other out the return side then join the two lines together and back to waterpump.

People running super chargers have a hard time finding the original super charger cross over- solved.

There is a unit I am chasing down still that is used on bmw m3 that is housing and thermostat for like $50, but how ling those will be available- ??

And btw, this is one company Nate found making these. Could there be another that makes it for less and still quality? Bet there is...

Here is a cool video for those that dont understand how the closing block off thermostat works- I’ve no clue if Mahle stat is making them for AC Delco, Robert Shaw, etc.
THERE IS NO SOUND IN VIDEO- your phone/ computer is ok. They give a typed description in the comments section if needed.

Now that is an awesome setup that can be used with the large AN fittings and SS braided teflon lines too...now I have seen many versions of this type of remote thermostat however this one has so many fitment configuration possibilities and that is what separates it from the others...

Ipsco.org
They make some amazing stuff. Remember when I spoke about eliminating the factory style oil filter and using hi flow one inplace then adding centrifuge for the fines? Small world. This was the same outfit i read about for that back then.

I also think they make the solution to a rear parking brake caliper issue with hummers. Hmm. Might sell off my spare a d factory rear calipers now too.

The filter screen is actually K and P, but he builds stuff for them so he is a resller.
Unfortunately his park/emergency brake is too small for the hummer. He doesn’t want it on things over 6,000 lbs.

But check them out anyways for about any variation of thermostat you could ever dream of.

Back