• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thermocouple Failure

Dan Hunter

Truck Terrorist
Reaction score
Anyone ever had their thermocouple on the EGT fail? I know to the hour when mine started acting weird. It went from correct indications to wavering/wandering with no direct connection to boost and often impossibly low.

Now, I've pulled 8500# back and forth from the ranch - the sole purpose of the truck anymore and it's going out there to stay in the spring when I build the work shed - in the dead of summer and never went above post-turbo temps though I'm measuring at pre-turbo so it's not like I need it but I'd like it to work.

Any ideas?

What brand? My isspro has a box that has gotten intermittent. They told me the actual thermocouple rarely fails.

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk 2

Thermocouples rarely fail, but when they do it happens just like you describe or 100% instant 0 reading.
Test :Remove it. Hook it up in ambient temp water on stove. Raise temp while using kitchen style thermometer to compare for temps up to 300•. For higher range put it in the oven comparing with oven temps.
Now the annoying part is when a terminated end inside the pod has bad connection ( like your symptoms) shake it while at temp and watch for fluttering. If you can shake a bad reading into it, chuck it.

"They" as in the mfr will say its rare, but when we use them on plants, boilers, furnaces- about 1 in 300 fails in first year when useing type k 2 wire under vibration (egt gauge fits this group). Omega dyne is the best if $ isn't a problem.

I would check the body to engine for voltage and possibly add a ground strap. My ground strap failed and fluttered the EGT gauge. Then check all the connections including the voltage reading at the gauge itself. Then pull it and do an inspection.

Personally I wouldn't run a bad EGT probe pre turbo any longer than I had to due to the possibility that it burnt off. I would probably find a way for it to burn in half and trash a turbo. Your luck may vary.

Thermocouples rarely fail, but when they do it happens just like you describe or 100% instant 0 reading.
Test :Remove it. Hook it up in ambient temp water on stove. Raise temp while using kitchen style thermometer to compare for temps up to 300•. For higher range put it in the oven comparing with oven temps.
Now the annoying part is when a terminated end inside the pod has bad connection ( like your symptoms) shake it while at temp and watch for fluttering. If you can shake a bad reading into it, chuck it.

"They" as in the mfr will say its rare, but when we use them on plants, boilers, furnaces- about 1 in 300 fails in first year when useing type k 2 wire under vibration (egt gauge fits this group). Omega dyne is the best if $ isn't a problem.

I'd like to see this LOL

I'd like to see this LOL

Yeah, wife/GF will have a FIT about auto parts in the kitchen! Let me clarify oily sooty damn smelly diesel parts are worth extra doghouse time... :hihi:

Will must have a kitchen with an Über stove that can probably burn water...

I was referring to getting water up to 300*. My wife will let me have some auto stuff in the kitchen, not much tho

I was referring to getting water up to 300*. My wife will let me have some auto stuff in the kitchen, not much tho

LOL i'd rather build a fire in the yard and boil water over it than hear the bitchin for doin it inside. "WHAT IS THAT SMELL????":willynilly:"Um um just boiling this here water" :WTF::mad5::icon16::cruch:

Yep, I was in the doghouse for days degreasing parts in the dishwasher. I put the old one in the garage and RV antifreeze it in winter.

If I could remember how to post pictures on here, I'd show you guys some hilarious things. I have a frying pan and a pot that are from my use only now, I'm the guy who if I drop sandwich on the floor I still eat it, but not anyting cooked in those two things. There is one shelf in the deep freezer that nothing gets stored on the left-hand side anymore ever since she saw me freezing some bearings in there. My spot at the dining room table has a weird stain From cleaning some guns there. And the list goes on. I definitely know she loves me or she would have hit me with a bat years ago...

Typo on the 300, should have been 200 sorry about that, or maybe there is just that much more atmospheric pressure in my kitchen for some reason?

Leave the keys in it while it's out there. Keep the cob webs blown out lol.

You're probably the only person in the state that would look at the thing and still consider stealing it. In the GM database, it's actually listed as eyesore blue.

Leave the keys in it while it's out there. Keep the cob webs blown out lol.

You're probably the only person in the state that would look at the thing and still consider stealing it. In the GM database, it's actually listed as eye-sore blue.

For the effort of pulling the thermocouple, I'm figuring I'll just replace it. It's threaded in to the manifold pre-turbo but I can't recall where I got it so I'm struggling to find the proper probe.

Back