• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The TerraShuttle is getting a military Optimizer! Now what?

Nothing wrong with freshening up the powertrain. The old engine may be able to be rebuilt for other rides. Always someone looking to fix their blown up 6.5...

Precups have arrived at Dennis' contact for machine work. Aside from the slew of random stuff from Will's RockAuto heads up that I ordered (including the Fel-Pro head gaskets), I just also ordered from Leroy...

Gapless ring set
Bosch injector set
AC Delco glow plugs
ARP head studs
Timing chain
Oil pump
Water pump for 2000 6.5 diesel
Water pump bypass restrict

I'm hoping to have the precups back by the end of the month, but we'll see. This is all looking to take shape in September as such. Can't wait to get this rig moving again, just in time for fall camping perhaps? De-campering it to drive to work frequently, and lately around the ranch, I've needed it multiple times per week! Hauled home two dozen t-posts yesterday in the front seat of my Audi...

Wonder if Total Seal is scratching their heads over the surge in Gapless ring orders? :D

Just an update, I should have all the goodies from Leroy before the weekend! But the precups are still MIA. I reached out to Dennis' contact and he still doesn't know when he's going to get access to the machine to do the milling at his work. Been a few weeks now and hope it's not going to be more than another week- I'm ready to get this truck on the road! I wonder if I should have found a local shop to do the work if it was explained properly, and I may yet...

Update: we had big rain and lightning yesterday along with other "distractions" that prevented me from doing all the things that needed to get done. I was waiting to mail until I had the water pump restrictor fitting done witch will be today now. Will mail today though.

It's really too hot out to be in the Garage working on an engine. Good excuse to blame missing parts instead...

Bulk of the time was waiting on rings and water pump. Our streets were flooded yesterday.
Back on track today though. Today fills like a nice spring day and were supposed to have a low of 60something this week one day! (did hell freeze over)

No worries, Leroy! It's Dennis' contact who still hasn't touched my precups that I'm beginning to wonder about. Ample time to receive your orders because of it. I'll give Dennis a call Friday if I haven't gotten an ETA from his guy by then as I requested- maybe he can give him a bit of encouragement.

Balance of Leroy's parts received, and I just got word today that my precups have been machined and should be in the mail tomorrow... there is light at the end of the tunnel! Things are about to start picking up... in another week. Due to my work schedule, shop hours, logistics, and other excuses, I won't be able to limp the truck down to the shop until the weekend after next. But after that, it's go time I think.

Further progress... batteries replaced, but the truck wouldn't start. Hrmmm. Didn't like that little surprise, no engine turnover or anything. Sounded like a bad starter perhaps, but nonetheless, no time to tinker still. I've got projects around the ranch I really need this thing available for STAT. No more sitting around now with a backseat full-o-parts! So a tow truck call and away it went a week ago to the shop (and roadside incorrectly keyed my 3500 in as a 1500, so the little Isuzu flatbed that showed up barely took it), where it finally sits now in queue. It should get dragged in this week to start the swap (and maybe with a new starter... hopefully). More next week!

P.s.: I did get the precups back as expected from the last post- they look great.

I'll ask, but no guarantees. I've gotten a few photos from them before while trying to figure out where the precups were, and the owner I'm in touch with also has an iPhone, so we'll see.

The truck is finally in one of the shop bays and the parts collection looks good, but they can't do the cam bearings. There is a machine shop nearby with 6.5 experience who also "builds some of the best race cars around here" who is going to look at it tomorrow for an estimate before they get started in earnest. I'm having to call for updates every couple days.

Bloody hell, maybe I'll have the truck by November...

No guarantees on that either but thanks! Also thanks to Leroy for the advice on the phone today to both me and the shop putting in the cam bearings and gapless rings- it starts tomorrow. Total ETA in 2 weeks? Weekend after next? We'll see.

Back