• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The Powermaster 9052 starter for 6.2 and 6.5

Sure you can get cheaper stuff elsewhere. Lifetime warranty is standard at any auto parts store - no need for fleabay and the wait when it fails for an exchange with shipping. The 6.2/6.5 gear reduction starters are lighter than the direct drive, but, both are heavy and the rear bracket it a b**** to get on and off. It is 2nd only to the PS pump on things I hate to change. I have had enough 6.2/6.5 starter failures from poor quality rebuilds to justify the higher cost of the PM unit.

I just put 2 AGM 750CCA batteries in and with a 145Amp Alt and the gauge reading 14.7 all the time. Mine seems to be starting slow in the mornings,, I'm thinking the starter is on the way out. 146000 miles on factory unit. Looking at NAPA for a new unit. They also have the Bosch New unit. But I would like to have a gear Reduction unit for sure. I only want to get in there once. So the search is still on for best unit.

Sorry about the late reply, but I haven't been on there much. But the Bosch is still going strong. Not one problem with it. I'm not sure where it was made. I don't remember looking. I got mine from World Pac. They only sell wholesale to shops, but it has been a great starter so far.

I was going to buy the powermaster, but I didn't want to spend the $300+ that Jegs and Summit wanted, so I decided to try a Bosch starter from a supplier of mine. It is a brand new starter, not a rebuilt, and when I got it, it said on the box more torque than stock starter plus a 12 month roadside service for free, and a 12 month warranty. I have had it for about 3 months now with no problems, and it does turn the engine over way faster than my stock starter did, warm or cold. It was $180 for the brand new Bosch, so we'll see how long it works. But so far I'm happy with it. Hope this powermaster works out for you.

Do you have a part number for the Bosch? Where did you buy it?

IS this the number for the Bosch Starter?
BOSCH NEWMAN SR8574N

FWIW: the hard start issue was sticking China injector nozzles burned up at 30K miles. Had to beat that problem into submission.

This is what it was doing to the starter drive locking and unlocking the overrun clutch:

Back