• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The old 6.5 could have taken the 24V...

chrisk1500

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I went to the street legals last night with the 'MAX.

What a hot and humid night to run!

Everyone was running much slower than expected....here are my results...

Race #1 - I ran a 15.2 against a Toyota Supra that ran 15.3
Race #2 - I ran a 14.3 against a friend's Dodge Dart that ran a 14.2
Race #3 - I ran a 14.3 against the 24V Dodge that ran a 16.4
Race #4 - I ran a 14.1 against a Z06 Vette that ran 12.9 - I cut a .002 R/T!!!
Race #5 - I ran a 14.4 against a nice hotrod that ran 13.3
Race #6 - I ran a 14.3 against a friends Dodge 1/2 ton that ran a 16.7

Overall I would say that I was in the top 10 street legal vehicles there last night. I was definately faster than most of the mustangs who were running 14.5+ all night long...

Now I need to figure out what to do to break 13.99.....I turned the tuner up to level 5 on the last two races, but everyone seemed to be getting slower as the night progressed...

What does this have to do with 6.5 performance you ask? If you remember my last 6.5 that had an HP4, turbomaster, 4" straightpipe, IC, etc. it ran a 16.7 before the IC and I know that it would have been in the lower 16's if I had gotten a chance to run it before I blew it to kingdom come...

That being said, a properly done up 6.5 in a half ton will keep up with a 24 V cummins with an edge EZ comp and 4" straight pipe, and it could have also beat my buddies old Dodge halfton (80's) with a 360 and NOS....keep rockin the 6.5 guys :thumbsup:

My Tahoe with V2, TM 4inch I would say was about even with my Stock 24v. The Cummins pullled a little better towing. Flatout bracket though it was close. Tahoe might have been a touch faster.

You got that right Chris, I'm getting her on the dyno at the end of the month with my new mods. I will let you know what I get out of her:)goal is 300rwhp I'm thinkin I will get more though. It sure gives a guy a warm feeling when your pulling away from 24v cummings that are chipped As well lol

I really gotta get my truck on the track again. My schedule hasnt been that receptive to a streetnight run. Wednesdays I'm sleeping because of work hours, and Friday nights I'm at the circle track. Next month I should be able to get there for a Wednesday night. Need to get the Walbro on so I know Im not starving for fuel. Can't wait to see what it will do now it's running right and pulling hard. I had a bad stumble before, and was running almost the same speed at the finish as I was at the half. So theoretically, if I can accelerate at all from the half to the finish, it will have to tear a big chunk off my 19and 20 second times from before. In addition to having cleared the stumble, I now have KOJO on board, a tuned vssb and feed the beast, with Walbro to come soon. If all that won't shave off more than two full seconds I'll eat my hat.

I raced an older piped 24 valve a couple years back, my only mod I think was downpipe and banks exhaust. I ran with him pretty darn well, I jumped him from the line, he caught up and got his nose a head of mine and we stayed that way til we had to let off. Same truck now, I could drive by him no problem.

Well, I know I have the wrong truck configuration. It's a lifted dually on 33" mudders. Big plowframe hanging under the bumper must just improve the already fantastic aerodynamics.

I just keep thinking about it, I was estimating I'd run an 18, but wasn't anticipating the truck falling on it's face, which netted me a 19 and 20. The fuel delivery problem had only happened rarely on the highway. So with ONLY the fuel delivery problem resolved, how much faster should it be? Remember, it ran almost the same speed at halfway as at finish. That seems like it would have made a big difference, but I have since added KOJO tune and vssb, which has really woken the truck up. I am now certain I can run hard from halfway to the finish.

Well, I know I have the wrong truck configuration. It's a lifted dually on 33" mudders. Big plowframe hanging under the bumper must just improve the already fantastic aerodynamics.

I just keep thinking about it, I was estimating I'd run an 18, but wasn't anticipating the truck falling on it's face, which netted me a 19 and 20. The fuel delivery problem had only happened rarely on the highway. So with ONLY the fuel delivery problem resolved, how much faster should it be? Remember, it ran almost the same speed at halfway as at finish. That seems like it would have made a big difference, but I have since added KOJO tune and vssb, which has really woken the truck up. I am now certain I can run hard from halfway to the finish.

Detroit Dan, mine isn't lifted but I have some very tall tires and I ran low 18's before this engine. With this new engine, "FTB", "ATT", WMI, and Propane it has s bunch more. So with your setup now add WMI, but not too much methanol, and propane and that beast will really get moving. Then add NOS and hang on!

I haven't been to the track since this new engine but the time is coming! 1/4 mile and then the dyno.

Your milage will increase with WMI and propane too!

You live in Epping.

There is a dragstrip in Epping.

You should be posting results already!

I know, I know.

I had propane injection on it years ago, it was great for hotrodding around and spinning the tires (back when they were stock size and I could spin them) but the reason I got it was to try and help with the towing power. It didn't work at all, it just pre-detonated and I had to keep dialing it back until it wasn't doing anything. I was always a little nervous about trucking propane around everywhere with me, and the only way I think I would have seen mpg gains would have been if the propane was free. So I took it out and got rid of it after about 3 months.
I always kind of thought WMI was more of a longevity and towing benefit, rather than racing. Don't think that's something I need. Goes against my grain to deliver water into my motor. And my motor is too old to be stressing with nitrous. I hate nitrous, all it's good for is breaking perfectly good engines. Fine for a dedicated racecar, but I have to rely on my truck as a daily driver.

Running straight water does gives me an increase in mileage. Straight water is about a 28 HP gain. Add some methanol and that will incease to about 40HP. Just get a good system with a check valve built in.

Running straight water does gives me an increase in mileage. Straight water is about a 28 HP gain. Add some methanol and that will incease to about 40HP. Just get a good system with a check valve built in.

Are you serious? 40 hp??

Back