• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The "Official" Exhaust Thread

Theres not much to my exhaust, I just wish I had a way to get a sound clip before it gets dismantled and parted out.

Well, I am starting on my exhaust. I have aquired a DE down pipe and will start with that. I also have installed an Edge Evo Race w/CTS and am running it on Level 3:D I stll need to do the PCV reroute. Oh, I got some new shoes for it and ordered a new steering stabilizer.

Well, I did my PCV reroute and that with the EGR blocker really makes the engine sound smooth now that it isn't getting any smog goo in the intake anymore.

I installed my DE Down Pipe over the last three days and everything I have read says how easy it is. Well, I have been twisting wrenches over 50 years and this job really kicked my Ar$$. It done, exhaust is nice and tight and I wouldn't volunteer to do that job again. For me anyway the job was nasty, enough said.

Now I just have to save up to get my 4" system and I will be complete on the exhaust.

Need some advice, I just got a nice used low-mileage 02 LB7. Picking up a six-gun and gauges tomorrow, want to do something with the exhaust too. Was thinking I'd either go with a 4" MBRP or DiamondEye, or just a muffler delete. I've listened to a lot of video clips but coming through a little laptop speaker they all sound like crap. I don't know if I dare go without a muffler. When I had my old 6.5 I started out with a Banks 3.5 inch full exhaust, ultra quiet. When the muffler rotted out I put in a piece of straight pipe and it sounded awesome, but it was a long pipe that exited behind the pass side dual wheels. Then replaced that with a full 4" DiamondEye with the muffler turned around backwards so it wasn't really doing anything. Also sounded awesome, but not quite as raw as the 3.5" straight pipe.
So whats the stock pipe, anyway? What would the difference be between putting a delete pipe on the stock exhaust (no cat), or a new 4" system with no muffler?

Depends on your taste. Personally the 4" diamond eye with the quiet tone front pipe is a good exhaust and not much louder than stock. The DURAMAX has a more edgy drone to it than a 6.5 has, so forget what you did with the 6.5 exhaust. Many like the MBRP, but it can get old after awhile listening to the drone on trips. The stock exhaust on a DURAMAX up till early 07 was 3.5" pipe. you can always cut the stock muffler out and put a piece of straight pipe in it to get a feel for how loud it will be. And the larger teh pipe the deeper the drone will be.

The full 4" DE is throaty with no drone to speak of below 70. You can hear it some above that. Leroy (in my sig) has that.

well, exhaust is on hold until I figure out why the six-gun doesnt work. So happy I spent most of the day installing it so I could get nothing out of it except a SES light. $*%&*%&@@*##

I figured i'd wake this thread with a small video of my tahoe,
4" diamond eye with louvered muffler.
[video=youtube;ZF2rIYGPMEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF2rIYGPMEY[/video]

9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Back