• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The Larry Thread

Chevypoor

Reaction score
This is for you Tanman!:D

Just to to recap just bought a 1995 C2500 Vin s 6.5 turbo truck. She is a 6 lug sf 14bolt RC pretty much all stock. I figured I would post a few pics and as I fix/ upgrade the ol girl I will chronicle it all here in the Larry thread.

To start things off I will list the problems she has.
1. Passenger cab corner and outer rocker - it was a Pa truck
2. Door bottoms are rough in the inside behind the rubber seal
3. Top of the fuel tank looks to be a bit rusty
4. New tires but only C rated - 44psi
5. Some scratches and paint chips
6. Check engine light comes on on the highway
7. Alt has the wrong size pulley-the rpms are reading high
8. All stock-PMD still on the pump, crappy dp, tiny exhaust, etc.
9. Trans has a supposed issue with randomly getting stuck in first gear-have not experienced that yet
10. Trans dipstick has is broken almost in half-not sure I want to know how that happened:eek:
11. Brake controller is mounted in an awful spot-bumped my shin 3 times getting of the trcuk in the last couple of days

The good.
1. All stock-not fixing someones else mods
2. Despite the above rust the rest of the truck is solid
3. 3.73s with a G80
4. New tires
5. Except for the vinyl side of the cloth seat the interior is mint
6. Rubber floor mats
7. Recent trans rebuild-probably only 25,000 on the trans

I checked the codes today and it was a code 78. So I "borrowed" Little Ds chip, turbomaster, and AFE intake. Relocated the brake controller-my shin says thank you. :) I washed her and threw on a set of 16" chrome trim rings I had laying around. I also removed the mudflaps... in my opinion they were hideous!

Attachments

• IMG_20140201_152831_337.jpg
    IMG_20140201_152831_337.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20140201_152815_416.jpg
    IMG_20140201_152815_416.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20140201_152838_886.jpg
    IMG_20140201_152838_886.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20140201_152849_221.jpg
    IMG_20140201_152849_221.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20140201_161554_466.jpg
    IMG_20140201_161554_466.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 18
A build thread for me? How thoughtful!

Did the trans issue start after the rebuild? That would be a good starting point.

Source Unknown

Not sure when the trans was rebuilt. The truck is a Pa truck and until I bought it never was registered more than 50 miles from the original Chevy dealer it was sold from. According to the car fax the truck has had two owners. According to the 2nd po and the car fax he bought the truck 8 yrs ago from a Mennonite farmer. It had 106k on the clock. When I bought the truck it had 131105 on the clock. The 2nd po used the truck for business-he had a small engine repair business. Because it was 2wd the 2nd po stated he never drove it in the winter. He stated he parked under a carport all winter. The trans has no sludge and is 100% clean. The wires and plugs are clean. It has a small metal rebuilders tag on the rear of the case. The 2nd po owner stated he had the problem since he bought the truck. I am assuming most of the salt exposure and rust came from the 1st po. I am also assuming that he had the trans rebuilt, most likely just before he sold the truck with 106k on the clock. So most likely even if I could locate the shop were the work was done it is out of warranty. The 2nd po stated he took it to trans shop and they told him it was a speed sensor. He stated that it would not shift out of 1st every few days. Supposedly you shut the truck off for 15 seconds or so restart and you are fine few a few more days. He stated that he drove the truck like that for 8 years!:eek:

Got quite a stable of 6.5 powered GM trucks in the pics...:thumbsup:

Thanks!

These items pictured below I found on the porch last night. The current plan is to buy a few things to upgrade Larry and borrow a few (budget is tight after Gertie required a motor refresh) more from Little D while it is being repaired. Depending on what a compression test shows for Gertie it might be donating a motor!;)

Attachments

• IMG_20140201_183304_121.jpg
    IMG_20140201_183304_121.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 13
The parts I ordered from Leroy diesel came in today and I installed the remote PMD. Thanks Leroy!

Attachments

• IMG_20140203_161953_139.jpg
    IMG_20140203_161953_139.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 12
Took a few minutes this afternoon to wire up the 7pin trailer plug and replace the lift pump. Sorry about the poor pic of the old LP, I am sure you can see why I replaced it. Interestingly enough the IP was done about a year ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20140204_164155_094.jpg
    IMG_20140204_164155_094.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20140204_164139_083.jpg
    IMG_20140204_164139_083.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 10
Forgot to mention fueled up today and on the first tank of fuel Larry got 18.7 mpg. Not to shabby with 3.73s, winter fuel, and small 225/75/r16 tires. She turns just north of 2200 at 70mph.

I was pretty pleased with mileage. Yesterday after I installed the new lift pump I just fired her and let her idle. I guess she must have been running off of the fuel in the manager and IP cause this morning she would not start. I tried the usual stuff... cracking injectors, hot wiring the lift pump, etc.. no dice. So I pull all of my stuff out and transfer to Gary. Of course I am running behind, trying to juggle the phone and just royally aggravated. Got home and after some office work I snuck away to see if I could get her running. Swapped out the batteries for another set I had laying around (thanks Gertie!), the passenger side battery was almost 10yrs old! Well it was air.... took three hours of bleeding, cranking, more bleeding, cracking injector lines, installed some clear tubing on the return line to the IP but she finally fired. Took her for a test drive and holy crow does she fly. Seat of the pants she feels quicker and stronger than Little D depsite having fewer mods. I have not yet really dug into her yet since I have not installed the gauges but boy does she move nice. I would say the lift pump was definitely bad and probably alot of the reason the PO installed a reman IP. These are some fickle finicky trucks but when they run like this one does it makes it all worth while. Still grinning... my wife and some of my friends think I am nuts but I love my 6.5s.

Do you mind me asking what you gave for the truck? I know of one almost exactly the same but tan. I really don't know what to give for these odd ball rigs.

Source Unknown

Do you mind me asking what you gave for the truck? I know of one almost exactly the same but tan. I really don't know what to give for these odd ball rigs.

Source Unknown

Not at all. I paid $4500. The price of these trucks is all over the map. Looking on Craigslist and on Autotrader the prices around here range from $1500-$10k+. The average nice straight clean used rig in the 95-99 with 100-150k at the dealers seem to run $5000-$7000. Auctions have better deals but no test drive makes me a little nervous.

Well apparently the blood sacrifice was not enough.... maybe I need to give a finger or an arm! LOL This morning the fickle 6.5 strikes again.... no start. I thought it was strange to replace a lift pump and go through 3hours of cranking madness. This morning it is doing the same thing. She is blowing white to blue gray smoke while you are cranking. I am thinking the el cheapo IP (it does not even have a tag) reman is the culprit. You can smell fuel while she is cranking. Yesterday after she finally fired she was smoking for quite awhile... the same blue grey smoke as when she was cranking. This morning I cracked the fuel filter no air. The IP clear return line is still full of fuel. I also opened the fuel filter blead valve with the LP running and I get fuel. The LP is brand new. I open up the water drain valve on the t stat housing and I get plenty of fuel with the lift pump running. The PMD is brand new and I swapped in a known good PMD yesterday and that made no difference. The only way she would start yesterday was to floor the gas pedal and hold it there. She fire continuously while cranking but would not actually run. Any thoughts? She was running solid before the lift pump install.

Makes me feel better, they wanted 2500 but put in new Batts and starter and want 3500. Has a light flat bed and clear coat peeling on the hood. 3.42s iirc.

Source Unknown

GPs are working.... atleast the light is on and I here the relay cycling. I can pull one to see what it looks like.

Back